• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help identifying KTM dirt bike

Trex33

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
14   0
Reaction score
Good evening!

my 15yo is getting into dirt bikes and unfortunately I have zero experience with them. An old member of my hunt club has left this KTM dirt bike at the property and my son is interested in buying it and fixing it up as part of his “education “:). Can anyone identify this bike so he can do some more research? Thank you!

Attachments

• 0951BEBA-EFCD-45DF-B79E-A38B7A5B6481.jpeg
    0951BEBA-EFCD-45DF-B79E-A38B7A5B6481.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 68
Need better pictures and sizing wheels, etc. My son raced KTM’s for years. I’ll try to remember to send the picture to him. Looks like a 2-stroke...could be a 250.
If so, screaming fast and not really a beginner bike.

Kim is a great bike and their two strokes have a lot of power. Kim builds thier bikes to get maximum horsepower out of every cc. Seeing that this is a two stroke you will need to keep up with maintenance with a new top end rework about every 50 to 60 hours. Most people that is one season of riding. Four strokes will go much longer without a top end but you don't have the raw power you do from a two stroke. I own a ktm 200 two stroke and it's a beast and runs with the 450cc four strokes no problem.

the good thing is that there are lots of them out there and typically getting parts is pretty easy. one of the bigger mail order houses is KTM World (aka Highland Park) which is a big riding area near Cedartown GA (south of Rome). They have a great website, and ship parts daily. Lots of KTM parts in stock and good folks that work there (the owner Paul is a gun guy).

Without more photos (the other side, as well as wheel sizes) it's hard to tell but looks like an 85cc.

KTM nomenclature:
SX is motocross bike
XC is cross country race bike
EXC is street legal enduro
if there's an f in the name, it's a four stroke (i.e. 250 SX-f is a four stroke 250cc race bike, 250 XC is a 250 two stroke woods bike, 250 XC-F is a 250cc four stroke woods bike). EXC's are always four strokes (at least for the past 10-15 years).
If there's a "w" in the name it's a wide ratio transmission. More for woods racing and dual sport (street legal).

the good thing is that there are lots of them out there and typically getting parts is pretty easy. one of the bigger mail order houses is KTM World (aka Highland Park) which is a big riding area near Cedartown GA (south of Rome). They have a great website, and ship parts daily. Lots of KTM parts in stock and good folks that work there (the owner Paul is a gun guy).

Great place to go ride. Used to go every other weekend when i had my 250. Durhamtown is also one of the best riding spots in the southeast.

Back
Top Bottom