• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

HELP!! I need a mobile tractor mechanic!!

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Sith Dark Lord
247   0
Reaction score
Long story short, I am having electrical issues w/ my Mahindra 2540. 6 weeks ago, wouldn't crank. Replaced battery and positive battery cable. Wouldn't crank next day, charged battery. Cranked and ran good for about two hours. Parked it and wouldn't crank 5 minutes later. Put on battery charger, but hasn't cranked since. I'm sure it's something small, but I can't fool w/ it. I don't have the strength in my hands to turn a wrench anymore.

It's under warranty, but I have to be able to load it and get it to a dealer, none of which are w/in 100 miles. Anyone know of a mechanic close to Newnan that is willing to come look at it?

Sounds like something has a crazy draw on it . Like starter or altenator ….. which you will need someone With a draw meter or Fluke to figure which of the accessories are causing the problem.
Something has an open or short in it and it is drawing - I believe. Hard to tell without being there.

Not a tractor mechanic, but have spent many hours in my youth in the seat of them :-)
The older models were somewhat simple to work on, but the newer models have many "safety" switches to protect us from ourselves :shocked:
Here are a few things to check:
1. Clutch Safety Switch - Try pressing and releasing the clutch as you try to start.
2. Neutral Safety Switch - Move the forward/reverse selector switch back and forth as you try to start.
3. Seat switch - Check the connections to this safety switch under the seat.
4. PTO engagement switch - Move the Rear PTO and/or Mid pto levers as you try to start.

Are you sure the battery isn't the problem? Do you have a volt meter? I'd check it if you can. First check it like it is, then check it after you charge it and 24hrs after you've charged it. With these new batteries you could still show 12v, but it won't under load. You could take the battery out and have it tested. I'd eliminate the battery before doing anything else. Just saying.....hope this helps...

Are you sure the battery isn't the problem? Do you have a volt meter? I'd check it if you can. First check it like it is, then check it after you charge it and 24hrs after you've charged it. With these new batteries you could still show 12v, but it won't under load. You could take the battery out and have it tested. I'd eliminate the battery before doing anything else. Just saying.....hope this helps...
I'm going to get a voltmeter Monday. It won't crank, so I can't check it under load. I know it sounds/is pitiful, but I can't get to the cables to remove the battery. That's why I need to pay someone.

Back
Top Bottom