• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help!!! Backstrap Recipes

Wrap in bacon and grill or roast. Season to taste. You can also slice, pound flat, dredge in milk and flour and pan fry. Seasoned up with salt and pepper to taste. Don't overcook!

This is the best I've used. I had a Vietnamese guy that ran a hotel in Nebraska make it for us with a fresh backstrap a number of years ago.
Incredible of you are a raw meat fan.

To many people try to cover up the deer flavor and dismiss it as gamey.

Substitute venison for beef in the following recipe.

http://laist.com/2013/04/05/chef_jet_tilas_khao_soi_recipe_for.php

Last edited:
Light coat of olive oil, black pepper and garlic. Wrap in half-done bacon; i.e. pre-cook the bacon about half-way so it will get done the same time as the filet. Put on a 700 degree grill for about three minutes per side. You want it medium rare. If that scares you, fry it as above. Hope you got the tenderloins out, too!

Just did this Sunday afternoon on the Big Green Egg...

Soak in a salt brine for a couple hours MINIMUM... this helps to draw out any lingering blood, as well as flavor and tenderize the meat. I have mine cut into 2 inch pieces, and I grill them on 400 degree coals, standing up so the cut sides touch the grill. Season with salt, pepper, and granulated garlic. Cook until halfway done, then rotate to get good grill marks and char flavor. Flip, then reapply the seasoning. I apply a square of butter, then close the grill and let it sit in the smoke and wet heat for about 5-7 minutes.

I like my steak SIMPLE, especially game. I want to taste the meat and not smother/cover the natural flavor with sauce.

Regardless of how you cook it, THAT is going to be the most important advice you get. And I don't like 'rare' meat. The TENDER-loin will be anything but if you over cook it.

X2... definitely watch a YouTube video on how to "touch" the steak, and learn how to judge "doneness" by how firm of soft it is.

...wow... these comments got in the gutter quickly

Light coat of olive oil, black pepper and garlic. Wrap in half-done bacon; i.e. pre-cook the bacon about half-way so it will get done the same time as the filet. Put on a 700 degree grill for about three minutes per side. You want it medium rare. If that scares you, fry it as above. Hope you got the tenderloins out, too!

^This. I am pretty much an olive oil and salt/pepper guy, and I would kick you out of my house if I you ever tried to put A1 or Ketchup on any type of red meat. :D I recently killed a 5.5+ year old buck so I was a little worried about the taste. First off I was needlessly worried. I do not know what kind of easy life this fella was living, but the meat tasted great. However I tried the above backstrap recipe, except I wrapped the bacon and backstrap with cream cheese in the center. It was fanfreakingtastic.

And another +1 on the tenderloins which are even better than the backstraps. With the tenderloins just olive oil, salt/pepper to taste, and sear at high heat.

slice it into little medallions a little salt and pepper then into a pan with olive oil, cook till med rare and eat.. No bacon no onions nothing else just pure natural protein at it's best

Back
Top Bottom