• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Heartbreak RnG - Registration 11/20 10AM

Been running in the cold swapping between a couple garments for testing. Straight Merino wool and the Patagonia R1 hoody. Both are perfect for events like this. The wool is a bit better at blocking wind, but you give up some breathability and you will get wet underneath. The good thing is, wool still warms when wet. The R1 Grid fleece will keep you nearly bone dry, but it will not block wind at all. If there is a nippy wind, I would run in the Merino. If the humidity is high and not much of a cold breeze, I would run in the R1 or some other similar grid fleece. Either would work, and if super chilly, you could wear the wool under the R1. You could run well below freezing with just those two layers and be comfortable.

Been running in the cold swapping between a couple garments for testing. Straight Merino wool and the Patagonia R1 hoody. Both are perfect for events like this. The wool is a bit better at blocking wind, but you give up some breathability and you will get wet underneath. The good thing is, wool still warms when wet. The R1 Grid fleece will keep you nearly bone dry, but it will not block wind at all. If there is a nippy wind, I would run in the Merino. If the humidity is high and not much of a cold breeze, I would run in the R1 or some other similar grid fleece. Either would work, and if super chilly, you could wear the wool under the R1. You could run well below freezing with just those two layers and be comfortable.

Thanks for this I have been trying tk figure out what to run in. But I am lost in this.

Thanks for this I have been trying tk figure out what to run in. But I am lost in this.
I'm pretty good with clothing choices in the cold. Learned a lot at my last job 12 years ago dealing with the military extreme cold weather layering system. Wish I had known as a kid that more is not better. I would bundle up to go hunting and freeze to death. Now I wear less than half as much and stay toasty warm. Breathability and airspace are key. Buy you a R1 from Patagonia and lightweight merino wool shirt. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I will typically run in a big peach north face long sleeve shirt and a poly blend hoodie over that with a beanie and gloves. It’s usually good for low 20s without issues once you are moving. Standing around you might get a bit chilly with a strong breeze.

Was actually considering just wearing what I normally do but bringing a flannel to toss on if I got wait time. I'm glad this conversation started on here

I was going to paste this directly in the thread but the ODT 12 image rule wouldn't allow, so here is the link to my Heartbreak 2022 Blog Post:

bulletpaluza bulletpaluza

I was going to paste this directly in the thread but the ODT 12 image rule wouldn't allow, so here is the link to my Heartbreak 2022 Blog Post:

bulletpaluza bulletpaluza
Excellent write-up. I'm 110% thankful that I didn't go for Plus division!
I look forward to seeing you, Travis, and any others that I don't realize are OTDers at River Bend.

Back
Top Bottom