• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hearing Protection

Man you guys are too high-class. I just buy the little packet of yellow or orange compressible foam earplugs (like...$4 for 7 pairs). 32db reduction. Never had any problems and their decibel rating is higher than a lot of the $100 pairs of muffs. I've never had any post-range ringing in my ears just using these guys. And each pair will last me 7-10 trips to the range, so the box of 7 pairs should last me about 50-70 range sessions (which is about a year's-worth for me).

As a lower cost option, try the Howard Leight Impact "Sport" Electronic Ear Muffs. Most places sell them for around $60.
We use them every week at the range and have had good serive out of them.
They are a little loud but the electronic "cutout" works well & the battery life is not bad.

KUDOS to this option. I've not used them but they look great and have a good reputation. I've worked with a lot of people in the firearms community that use them.

I have a Peltor ACH headset with single channel commo built in. It is a Comtac II with commo and more importantly thicker gel ear seals. The ACH has 21DB reduction where the Comtac II is like 19DB rated.

That makes a difference. The ACH is a good headset for people who work in tactical vehicles, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people working in the tactical community using Howard Leight's for protection from blast/small arms fire noise. The ACH is very comfortable, but hurts my head after more than 45 minutes under a helmet. The ACH is $450-$550- the Howard Leight is $60-$80. I think the Howard Leight people got the better deal.

I use Walker sound amplifying any time I'm near guns going off. They keep you from yelling at the range and are a real help when hunting, you hear them coming and ears are protected when they get there and you shoot.
The batteries last me all season with reasonable use, I replace them at the beginning of gun season and they last through turkey season.

Man you guys are too high-class. I just buy the little packet of yellow or orange compressible foam earplugs (like...$4 for 7 pairs). 32db reduction. Never had any problems and their decibel rating is higher than a lot of the $100 pairs of muffs. I've never had any post-range ringing in my ears just using these guys. And each pair will last me 7-10 trips to the range, so the box of 7 pairs should last me about 50-70 range sessions (which is about a year's-worth for me).
YEP!!!

When I was shooting service rifle competition while in military service, slip-on pencil erasers were the hearing protection of choice. They were cheap, readily available, easily transported, and effective. I realize we have come a long way since then; but I have no detectable hearing loss in my old age.

[Broken External Image]:

Back
Top Bottom