• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Handgun transfer question

"I work for the Sheriff.
You can't ship a firearm unless you are a ffl
All firearm sales must be face to face in state, else it must go through a ffl."

All meant to intimidate and mislead.
Intimidate? You are sounding like a liberal snowflake more and more brother lol

No FFL required in state.

UPS or Fedex.

• The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws.
GA law does not require a FFL to receive in state transfers. Otherwise we could not meet face to face and swap cash or goods for a pistola.

I don't think anyone said it was illegal. The point is that you can't actually do it unless one side is an FFL because of the rules carriers have in place.

I suppose you could find some kind of independent courier company that might accept it, but the big shipping companies want nothing to do with person-to-person transfers without an FFL involved.

I don't think anyone said it was illegal. The point is that you can't actually do it unless one side is an FFL because of the rules carriers have in place.

I suppose you could find some kind of independent courier company that might accept it, but the big shipping companies want nothing to do with person-to-person transfers without an FFL involved.
THANK YOU

BTW, common internet advice is "just mark it machine parts and ship it UPS (or Fed Ex)"

First if you have an insurance claim, lost. damaged. etc., they will flat out refuse to pay. and you are SOL.

Secondly, even though they are private companies, being common carriers, shipping ANYTHING that violates their published tariffs is a federal felony.

BTW, common internet advice is "just mark it machine parts and ship it UPS (or Fed Ex)"

First if you have an insurance claim, lost. damaged. etc., they will flat out refuse to pay. and you are SOL.

Secondly, even though they are private companies, being common carriers, shipping ANYTHING that violates their published tariffs is a federal felony.

Please cite someone that has been convicted of this felony.

Lots of bs being thrown around here.

Some of these on here are good ole boys that would ship without telling shipper, and leads me to believe that they would intend to break the shipper rules and break the law. Maybe they don't like being wrong and not admit it.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-common-or-contract-carrier

As I said, the LAW does NOT require an FFL on either end for in state shipments.
Yeah, this part is what breaks the LAW.
In addition, federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm or ammunition, prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm and requires obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a)(5), 922(e) and (f); 27 CFR 478.30 and 478.31]
You have to take everything with what you posted, if not you're taking everything out of context. If you're a law abiding citizen then obey all the laws of shipping. It's not worth losing your rights on your carry license by committing a felony on shipping a gun. The buyer should pay all expenses, so you don't bear the expense. But if you must carry on.

I live in north Ga. I have sold a gun to an acquaintance in south Ga. As long as he is legally allowed to own a gun. (For example Sends me a copy/picture of a valid drivers license and valid carry permit) can I ship it directly to him?

Thanks
I say you meet him halfway. Get out and see some of the wonderful GA scenery...

Some of these on here are good ole boys that would ship without telling shipper, and leads me to believe that they would intend to break the shipper rules and break the law. Maybe they don't like being wrong and not admit it.

Yeah, this part is what breaks the LAW.
In addition, federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm or ammunition, prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm and requires obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a)(5), 922(e) and (f); 27 CFR 478.30 and 478.31]
You have to take everything with what you posted, if not you're taking everything out of context. If you're a law abiding citizen then obey all the laws of shipping. It's not worth losing your rights on your carry license by committing a felony on shipping a gun. The buyer should pay all expenses, so you don't bear the expense. But if you must carry on.

Have I been doing it wrong all these years? I have NEVER told the USPS lady what I am shipping.

Please cite someone that has been convicted of this felony.

Lots of bs being thrown around here.
So have you done it, shipped a handgun as you have stated, if you have done it own it. If you have you broke the law of the carrier who would be the one to prosecute you. Nobody has said someone has got convicted, you brought that out .Pretty much facts on carrier rules. So guess who's spreading the what you call it. Just don't lead someone else down the wrong road, you may do what you want,so carry on.
Have I been doing it wrong all these years? I have NEVER told the USPS lady what I am shipping.
I'd say yes you have. Of course you would have to be an honest man to do what's right.

So have you done it, shipped a handgun as you have stated, if you have done it own it. If you have you broke the law of the carrier who would be the one to prosecute you. Nobody has said someone has got convicted, you brought that out .Pretty much facts on carrier rules. So guess who's spreading the what you call it. Just don't lead someone else down the wrong road, you may do what you want,so carry on.

I'd say yes you have. Of course you would have to be an honest man to do what's right.
Of course both parties involved could get in trouble. You might knoe to do right but if the other guy don't, then you've drug him into a bad situation too.

Back
Top Bottom