• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Handgun at 18??

I hear ya. I purchased a handgun at 18. I realize now that I probably didn't need it. But age (with age comes wisdom) and experience can't be handed out or given away. Advice yes but wisdom and experience no. I'm not selling to 18 yos because I don't like them, I am not selling to them because I think I know better than they do what they truly need because I have been there and done that already.

Also; Don't ever start smoking.

Come on man. I know I've been gone a while, but I'm thinking Uncle Sam gave you a pistol at 18 or was it an M16?

Trust an 17 year old with a gun just fine. Where I wouldn't trust one is with the internet, where they might do something dangerous like implicate a family member in making straw purchases of firearms for a minor.
Which to begin with isn't illegal in a private sale secondly wouldn't be illegal for a father to purchase his son a firearm with funds the son provided.

following your logic, Glocks should be baby shower gifts.

NO, the 2A doesn't have an age limitation, nor does it bar mentally ill persons. That's because the founding fathers assumed the citizens of the USA had some commo sense. There's your common sense gun law right there.

Yea but I 18 year old can purchase a rifle which is much more lethal than a handgun. I received my first handgun that I own personally when I was 12 years old. Dear old dad hook me up Christmas with a Ruger Mark 1. I didn't shoot up anybody or otherwise bring harm to anyone or their property, although a few squirrels and rabbits might beg to differ

So, the intent of your dad being there with his WCL is to do what? Straw purchase the weapon? If there is a bill of sale, who has been signing them?

You guys with your straw purchases there is no law against a straw purchase. It is illegal to falsify information on a form 4473, I don't know of anyone using the form 4473 in a private transaction, unless you first transfer your weapon to an FFL in then he transfers it to the buyer. How many threads on this format have been focused on straw purchases go back and read them. Or post a law that states otherwise and I don't mean go to ATF website and use their verbiage which is a commercial sale at an FFL I mean go to the code and post code section that makes straw purchase illegal.

I got my first rifle and side arm when I was 16. I was taught how to fire both weapons, how to clean both weapons and how to kill with both weapons. If you’re looking for an adventure, do like I did. Join the United States Marine Corps. They will teach you more than you want to know about weapons.

Trust an 17 year old with a gun just fine. Where I wouldn't trust one is with the internet, where they might do something dangerous like implicate a family member in making straw purchases of firearms for a minor.
Notice I said I will take ownership when I turn 18, not that I own them currently. They are my dads, he handed the sellers the money and they handed the gun to him. They are for all intents and purposes his. Till Sunday :)

Notice I said I will take ownership when I turn 18, not that I own them currently. They are my dads, he handed the sellers the money and they handed the gun to him. They are for all intents and purposes his. Till Sunday :)
Fair enough. I hope you have a hell of a range day planned for Sunday.

Yeah and they gave me blanks so I stuck a cleaning rod down the barrel to shoot a squirrell. I was REAL smart at 18.
If anything, Americans are the most INNOVATIVE people on this planet. It's what sets us far and above ANY foreign group of people, whether highly educated or not by ROTE education like Indians, especially in IT.

[I'll take a smart American gameboy nerd tryna figure out how to lazy-finesse a solution to a computer problem than some Haji who can cite Pi to 100 places any day of the week....]

Back
Top Bottom