• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Handgun at 18??

Here is a tid bit from a legal advisor website, while it's not a state statute quote, many would believe when written by lawyers it's close enough to legal sense just layman's terms. How about taking you condescending self and stop being a keyboard cowboys as you called it. I bet you feel real good spouting "iT iSn'T iN tHe LaW" may not be spelled out anyone with any sense can understand despite that it still isn't far off at all.

First , what can you do without a weapons license? In Georgia, you can purchase a firearm, transport it in your car, and keep it inside your home and business without a license. While the law previously stated that a gun must be kept in the trunk or enclosed glove box or closed console of your car, that law has been relaxed over recent legislative periods. You can now treat your car as an extension of your house and business and keep the loaded firearm anywhere in the vehicle.

By your logic as long as it's not spelled flat out by daddy government it isn't true. Speaking in layman's terms it in fact is an extension of your home because of the stand your ground law and castle doctrine.

Georgia law in defining Castle Doctrine rights does not use the term “home” or “house;” the term employed is “habitation.” A habitation is defined by Ga. Code Ann. § 16-3-24.1 as “any dwelling, motor vehicle, or place of business…”

If you are the victim of unlawful force or deadly force when you are in your dwelling, motor vehicle, or place of business, these places are your castle, and the law will protect you in the use of deadly force. In these Castle Doctrine circumstances, the law will justify the use of force or even deadly force based upon a person’s reasonable belief that force or deadly force was necessary to defend against force inside his or her habitation.
So what u are saying Is you could not find a statue stating that your vehicle was an extension of your home...

So what u are saying Is you could not find a statue stating that your vehicle was an extension of your home...
Incredibly-Funny-Memes-8.jpg

So you are one of those guys who can't admit when he is wrong, and then tries to cloud the issue by changing the subject. Just because some of the same laws apply to your home and automobile doesn't make a vehicle an extension of your home. Do you really think you can park your vehicle on the street in front of your home and drink a bottle of jack sitting in said vehicle and not risk arrest for driving under the influence? You would be hard pressed to get charged sitting inside your home with dui. We have specific laws that address the use of deadly force when it comes to car jacking, if what you say is true we would not have needed such a law. I am sure you will not admit your error. If the state AG told you that you were incorrect you would not conceded.
BTW I nor anyone else needs to insult you. You are doing a fine job of that all by yourself.

To address tour first part I already did say I was wrong. May not have been flat out spelled out for your simple idiot mind to figure out. To address the rest of your post I quite honestly couldn't give a tats ass what your opinion of me or what your assumptions are. You and the the other guy are the only ones bringing up alcohol consumption to compare it to carrying a gun in/on private property while on a public roadway.

To address part of your post we have laws regarding alcohol consumption and dui laws that do apply to private property as well.

Your argument is just splitting hairs on the wording of something someone says. I'm pretty sure all this was finished and done with until you posted and had to get your opinion in. I got a warning last post I made before you posted. I'll probably get another or a point but oh well.

In my most sincere way I will say my best of luck to you and yours in your future endeavors. If you don't know what thay means I'll spell it out for you **** you and horse you rode in on.
def a point. delete now.

I used firearms from the time I was old enough to hold them up and was hunting on my own before puberty. I became a military policeman at age 19, and have carried a firearm every day since then. I can get fully behind 18 year old buying and carrying a gun if they are AD military or law enforcement. But in context, military and LE are intensely trained and supervised on the use of firearms when compared to the general public. There is no comparison between an 18 year old Marine and the 18 year old kid flipping burgers at MacDonald's.
But my unease about this blanket age of 18 is based upon my LE experience with 18-21 year-olds doing really stupid things out of emotional immaturity. Some are rock solid at 18, many are not. Florida raised the age to buy any gun to 21, and the CWFL age is and always has been 21. To some extent this is based upon the science that the pre frontal cortex of the brain, which relates to emotional maturity, is not fully developed at age 18. In fact it is not fully developed until about age 25. We can recall that many states lowered the drinking age to 18 in the 60's-70's, and the number of 18-21 killed in alcohol related car crashes spiked. Most of those states went back to a drinking age of 21 for that reason. I guess my perspective is, we have enough stupidity at age 21 and above, are we going to just add to it by having more immature kids running around carrying a pistol?
Amen! And while we're at it, we should stop people from voting until they're 21 as well. If they're too immature for a firearm, imagine the damage they can do in the ballot box!

ETA: Sorry if anyone doesn't realize that this is sarcasm. I have no issue with selling a pistol as an individual to someone who is 18 and can otherwise legally own one. I've done it before, and I'd do it again if I was selling a pistol that someone wanted.

Guns being misused represents a bigger and more imminent threat than a votes being misused.

Anyhow, this observation is spot-on:

"But in context, military and LE are intensely trained and supervised on the use of firearms when compared to the general public. There is no comparison between an 18 year old Marine and the 18 year old kid flipping burgers at MacDonald's."

Notice the part about "intensely supervised." Also note that teenagers in the military don't get to carry their own guns around everywhere they go, 24/7, off duty and on. In non-combat zones, in peacetime, they have strict rules and weapons policies regarding when they can have those guns and who they must turn them over to, or where they must securely store them, when not being carried for an official purpose. Also note that in the military, these "kids" are subject to a very strong chain of command, and they don't get to break the rules without consequences. Immediate and unpleasant consequences. In contrast, many civilian teenagers have grown up their whole lives with an attitude of entitlement, "me first" thinking, and contempt for authority and utter disregard for "the rules" -- either the rules of the household or the rules of the workplace, or the rules (laws) of the community. They've lived their whole lives being taught through experience that they can get away with anything and suffer nothing more serious than a brief conversation with a single parent about "making good choices" and maybe being told they will have their smartphone taken away for a week (which the kid negotiates down to keeping his phone, but PROMISING his parents to not use it for the next 72 hours, but he turns it on and uses it right away, just not in front of the parents' faces, not for the next 72 hours).

But despite the above, I have to say that IF the 2nd Amendment actually covers a right for ordinary citizens to carry ordinary guns, inclu8ding handguns, out in public daily and for no reason other than personal protection, without regard to any militia service or public safety benefit...

... THEN the only permissible response to any restrictions on 18 years olds buying handguns, or carrying them, has to be that any restriction is unconstitutional. The 2nd Amendment doesn't have an age limit, but I believe at common law it was widely accepted that once you were 18 and no longer living in your parents' home you were an adult with all the rights and privileges of an adult. So, anybody who would have been seen as an "adult" in the 1790s when the Bill of Rights was enacted should have full Second Amendment rights today, EVEN IF we as a society think we're all safer or better off if we limit that right to only people in their 20s.

The 2A takes certain public policy choices off the table, and some ideas that are "good" are just not permitted in our system of government where the rules of the Constitution must trump acts of the legislature(s).

I used firearms from the time I was old enough to hold them up and was hunting on my own before puberty. I became a military policeman at age 19, and have carried a firearm every day since then. I can get fully behind 18 year old buying and carrying a gun if they are AD military or law enforcement. But in context, military and LE are intensely trained and supervised on the use of firearms when compared to the general public. There is no comparison between an 18 year old Marine and the 18 year old kid flipping burgers at MacDonald's.
But my unease about this blanket age of 18 is based upon my LE experience with 18-21 year-olds doing really stupid things out of emotional immaturity. Some are rock solid at 18, many are not. Florida raised the age to buy any gun to 21, and the CWFL age is and always has been 21. To some extent this is based upon the science that the pre frontal cortex of the brain, which relates to emotional maturity, is not fully developed at age 18. In fact it is not fully developed until about age 25. We can recall that many states lowered the drinking age to 18 in the 60's-70's, and the number of 18-21 killed in alcohol related car crashes spiked. Most of those states went back to a drinking age of 21 for that reason. I guess my perspective is, we have enough stupidity at age 21 and above, are we going to just add to it by having more immature kids running around carrying a pistol?
No ware in the 2A does it say anything about age. Freedom is dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom