• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ham Radio People Metro ATL

Google the modification to your HT. Most of the time it is an easy code to enter after holding down a certain key while powering on. It‘s normally referred to as an “unlock” code. I did my Yaesu HT in about 30 seconds. I know I’m sounding like a broken record but the $25 Baofengs are already unlocked & will transmit on GMRS & the amateur bands out of the box.
On my model it requires removing a surface mount "micro" component. It is referred to as a zero ohm resistor - aka a jumper. It is smaller than a grain of rice.

I went to the web site MyGMRS.com . I noticed that many of the repeaters are not open to the general public and require fees and permission. I can understand that. I am just curious how do they enforce non-members from using the repeater? The only thing that comes to mind is a PL code that changes ever so often. Do you know how it is enforced?

I went to the web site MyGMRS.com . I noticed that many of the repeaters are not open to the general public and require fees and permission. I can understand that. I am just curious how do they enforce non-members from using the repeater? The only thing that comes to mind is a PL code that changes ever so often. Do you know how it is enforced?
Repeater manager may shut down repeater if he/she discovers a non-member using it. Otherwise, no...just common courtesy.

Easy enough to determine CTCSS tone using most ham rigs by doing a receive CTCSS scan while someone is broadcasting through the repeater.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

The North Georgia GMRS network has a "net" on Thursday evenings at 7:30. This week it ran for 2-1/2 hours with over 50 check-ins. The club has over 500 members. https://nggmrs.org/
I went to the web site and saw the linked repeaters on a map. That is great. I suppose they are linked over the Internet. How much does it cost to use that network? I am not sure that I could hit one of those linked repeaters from my house. It looks like the one closest to me was decommissioned last year.

I went to the web site and saw the linked repeaters on a map. That is great. I suppose they are linked over the Internet. How much does it cost to use that network? I am not sure that I could hit one of those linked repeaters from my house. It looks like the one closest to me was decommissioned last year.
I'm new to radio and may be mistaken but I think they are actually linked by microwave. The membership levels are posted on the NGGMRS website. I have been unable to hit any repeaters from my location with a 5w HT. Going to have to up my game. :)

Some are linked via the Internet, a few are going microwave. It's actually a pretty robust network. There is also a Zello option if you're outside of the network coverage area.
Yes, it is a subscription based group, simply because maintaining that network is not cheap and certainly not free! Considering the number of repeaters and the coverage area of the network, it really is a bargain.

Back
Top Bottom