• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ham Radio People Metro ATL

I have tubes,if you need any
20191109_212611.jpg
20190929_232705.jpg
20191228_143236.jpg
20191228_143227.jpg
20191228_143158.jpg

I am also pleased to see more hams than expected on ODT. There is no denying it is a niche hobby with an aging population. I see parallels with firearms ownership in that Amateur Radio is also constantly under assault. In this case it is for the value of the radio spectrum, and there is no 2nd Amendment for protection.

To those concerned about equipment, suboptimal antennas, HOAs, band conditions, etc. just do the best you can with what you've got, and get on the air.

I've been a HAM for a little over 4 years although the past 2 years or so I haven't even turned on a radio. I'm only a technician so no hf. I got back interested about a week ago and went this past Monday and upgraded my baofeng to an icom id51. I wanted something I could talk on dstar with inside the house. I also bought a mount and antenna so I can put my mobile in the truck. We will see where it leads and I'll probably start studying for the general test soon.

KM4NFT

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've been a HAM for a little over 4 years although the past 2 years or so I haven't even turned on a radio. I'm only a technician so no hf. I got back interested about a week ago and went this past Monday and upgraded my baofeng to an icom id51. I wanted something I could talk on dstar with inside the house. I also bought a mount and antenna so I can put my mobile in the truck. We will see where it leads and I'll probably start studying for the general test soon.

KM4NFT

Good deal. The ID51 is a nice little rig. There are some days I wish I had gotten the Icom rather than the Kenwood TH-74D. Although versatile, the Kenwood is just not quite as logical in its DSTAR implementation.

I have a hard time hitting some of the DSTAR repeaters where I live, so picked up a Zumspot digital hotspot. Once I get it assembled, I plan to put it in my attic, allowing me to walk the neighborhood and let it serve as my personal repeater.

N4WFB

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I use a dvmega on a raspberry pi in my living room. Been hooked up behind my entertainment center for 4 years and still working perfectly.

I’m going to revive this thread because it needs revival. :)

0E38866D-29FB-44D4-A692-3B3BA52DB5BE.jpeg
8A7CF8A6-35A7-4873-916C-41AE9AEE7D98.jpeg
FBD4F12E-4AD7-4A09-BFDA-4E21DEA26ED2.jpeg

I earned my Tech license a month ago. I installed a separate grounding system in the house, bought a used Yaesu FT-897, installed a 40m dipole and a dual band 2m/70cm in the attic, built a couple of RG-8, 50 ohm feedlines, hooked up a Raspberry Pi and figured out (with a fair bit of help) how to run CW through a program called FLdigi, after which I made my first QSO with my brother-in-law up in NC, and have been scanning and learning the local nets.
I’m working on the General class license right now and hope to be able to start working SSB on HF.

DE K4ZRI General here.
I have an IC-7300, Yaesu FT-897 and a TYT-9800 in my shack. I'm thinking about selling the 897, just don't use it since I got the 7300.

BTW, the freaking HF bands are just abysmal!
If you still have that FT-897 and are still thinking about selling it I'd be interested in talking to you about it.

Congrats on your tech ticket! You can work 10 meter HF now. The band was open for quite a while Friday. That 897 & a 1/2 wave dipole will talk a long way. I use a Yaesu FT-817 with a 1/2 wave dipole in a tree. The 817 only puts out 5 watts but I have talked all over South America, the Caribbean, western US & Canada. Good luck on your general test. I upgraded in February. Also, thanks for resurrecting this thread. I’ve never noticed it before.

Back
Top Bottom