• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ham Radio People Metro ATL

Not licensed but learning how to use my SDRPlay RSP1A SDR unit. Unbelievable what this thing can due for $100. As always the antenna is the key and I haven't gotten a good one yet but plug this into your PC and with a good antenna you can listen/see fromm 9kHz across the spectrum to past 2-m. Amazing

Been a ham for many years. Jasper has several good 2 meter repeaters. 146.805 has great coverage from Jasper south. The Jasper club Just put up a new repeater to replace their old one on 146.700 and is working to get it optimized. There is also a D star repeater and a DMR repeater in Jasper. There are also several packet gateways here. I check into several nets on 40 and 75 meters.

20190928_185056.jpg
20191006_212650.jpg
20191006_214115.jpg
20191006_172451.jpg
20190928_185654.jpg
Not sure if you guys sa2 my tubes, capacitors, and whatnot for sale but you REALLY should take a gander...

Attachments

• 20191006_212650.jpg
    20191006_212650.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 15
explain to me what that is... I've been away for a while.

I apologize for not replying sooner. I didn't see this.
Essentially people are using a usb dongle that was designed to recieve European OTA Television signals as a way to receive pretty much any RF signal in the world.
The limits are what you'd expect: The type of antenna, pre-amps and other stuff that you connect to the dongle.
The software is usually free.

Check this site out. RTL-SDR.Com

Last week I got my HF rig up and running. With a 135 ft. Inverted V antenna I’m picking up 6-160 meters. Within the first hour of running I listened to a Ham in Cape Verde Islands talking to another Ham in South Africa. Later picked up transmissions from Northern Alberta, Iowa, Texas and Idaho.

Where's the license testing sites around the northside metro ATL?

I used to help out at the one near Snellville 25 years ago (w5yi?) and took tests out at the church in east Cobb (Roswell rd?)

I have heard there is a Hamfest coming up soon in the Stone Mountain area. You will usually find testing going on at most Hamfest and they are usually looking for volunteer exam givers. Might want to start looking there. I don't believe there are any fixed testing sites any longer.
Cliff/N5GWU

How would yall suggest someone get their technicians license? I'd like to get mine.
Find an amateur radio club in your area and join it. There are always a lot of the “old guys” that have a ton of knowledge and would love to help you study. http://www.arrl.org/ has all of info, study guides and practice tests.

Back
Top Bottom