• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ham Radio People Metro ATL

Guys, I have listed my relatives radio parts for sale in our misc section. If interested, please feel free to contact me via pm. Thanks!

Good luck. I believe you're going to need it. Most people just don't have a need for all those discrete components.

Most individuals, even if they are capable of trouble shooting electronics, will just purchase a direct replacement part so they are sure of matching electrical characteristics and foot print.

By the way, offer them as electronic components - not specific to ham or radios - it may give you a broader appeal.

Good luck. I believe you're going to need it. Most people just don't have a need for all those discrete components.

Most individuals, even if they are capable of trouble shooting electronics, will just purchase a direct replacement part so they are sure of matching electrical characteristics and foot print.

By the way, offer them as electronic components - not specific to ham or radios - it may give you a broader appeal.
Thank you Leveraction44! I made the change to the ad. My relative had a MS from MIT and was a computer engineer. It doesn't surprise me that he had these parts. I'm sure he built his own stuff and probably fixed anything electrical that broke around the house. Certainly out of my AO.

Im just now wanting to get into this hobby watching youtube videos on where to start currently lol
I have noticed several of the YouTubers with ham channels seem a little on the dumb @$$ side - there are plenty of exceptions.

One big exception is Dave Casler. You should check out his channel. He has a lot of videos that are all very good. He has them on studying for the different test to videos on equipment, etc.. I think his youTube channel may be called Ask Dave.

I am presently watching the series on building up a "reference" system. It is based on an HF base where he picks a transceiver, then on to a power supply selection, antenna, ...

So how serious am I about starting a new hobby with an HF ham base? I thought that I was serious enough. Maybe I am. Maybe I'm not.

The antenna size and installation in an HOA subdivision is an issue, and the cost has me second guessing it.

HF base is about $1000
Power Supply about $200
Microphone about $150
Antenna about $200
Coaxial cable, and other miscellaneous $200
Maybe install cost of cable in the walls - A wife mandate $200

To me, that is an expensive toy.

Having a mobile HF rig (combo vhf/HF even) mounted in your vehicle with a quick discomnect rear mounted antenna, like the Hustler antenna s[ystem, would free you up on power supply cost and allow yo8 to,simply drive down the road to a parking lot that’s not down in a hole, and QSO. Night time 40 meters mobi,e is decent.

Also if in an emergency without power, your vehicle will still run And if you need to head for the hills, then youre still communicating
What kind of 40 meter distance do you get with that set up?

Back
Top Bottom