• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ham Radio People Metro ATL

I have a license, cheap handhelds, a 2 meter rig set up to run in my vehicle, a j hook for it at home that isnt hooked up with the low loss cable I need, and such a low level of knowledge its embarrassing. Got started and time evaporated. The time hurdle should be fixed after this week I hope. I really want a digital detrunking scanner. I don't want to buy it until I know I'm not going to put it in a drawer and not learn to use it. The "list" is long and heavy.

I have a license, cheap handhelds, a 2 meter rig set up to run in my vehicle, a j hook for it at home that isnt hooked up with the low loss cable I need, and such a low level of knowledge its embarrassing. Got started and time evaporated. The time hurdle should be fixed after this week I hope. I really want a digital detrunking scanner. I don't want to buy it until I know I'm not going to put it in a drawer and not learn to use it. The "list" is long and heavy.
A Digital Trunk Tracker? Be prepared to be disappointed. Most metro PDs have gone encrypted.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

A Digital Trunk Tracker? Be prepared to be disappointed. Most metro PDs have gone encrypted.

Yeah, I know. Not everyone is though.

SDRTrunk and a couple of inexpensive USB SDR dongles are a better investment than a trunking scanner unless you're wanting to take it mobile.

SDRTrunk and a couple of inexpensive USB SDR dongles are a better investment than a trunking scanner unless you're wanting to take it mobile.

I always want to be able to take my stuff mobile if possible. Always like that option. The scanner would be more of a backpack item. Intel on the move if needed. More of a get back home item to help smartly move through any areas I find myself having to go through. Just another layer. You are right there are better options for home.

I find it interesting that post-9/11, the Federal Gov made all these communication grants available to towns/counties/states so that their gear could talk to one another in various disaster scenarios. So nearly everyone went with all these new trunking systems, many of them encrypted.

Because there are several standards for digital & encryption, now interoperability is even worse! Furthermore, many rural counties don't have the budget available to maintain these complex systems.

I'm not impressed...

Back
Top Bottom