• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

H&R Handi rifle FTF fix

firesaw

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
61   0
Reaction score
So I traded into a Handi rifle, I headed out to shoot it and nothing, small dents in the primer but after several attempts, nothing. I looked on the internet for any help. I found the H&R service number, called it several times with no answer.
The internet had all kinds of advice mostly replacing the hammer spring, new firing pin etc.
So after inspecting the rifle I noticed the transfer bar was large and square and leaving a big indention over the firing pin. so I decided to relieve the bar to only contact the firing pin upon firing. The lower part of the hammer was contacting the transfer bar hinge so I relieved it also. It seems to have corrected the issue. I only fired it once, as I'm going to reset the crooked scope, and I didn't want to waste ammo. Anyway I thought this may help someone.

Attachments

• 20211230_151436.jpg
    20211230_151436.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 20211230_151530.jpg
    20211230_151530.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 20211230_151557.jpg
    20211230_151557.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 76
I'll have to check this on my laptop when I get home....but one thing to try, remove the forend from the barrel, and then reinstall the barrel into the action. With the action closed, see if the lockup is tight between the barrel and the receiver. Lockup should be tight, with no wobble or play. If it's loose, headspacing could be your issue.

Some people bought these guns, thinking you could simply order barrels and swap out like an Encore or Contender...you can't, they require fitting.

What is the chambering?

444 marlin
it appears that something is out of adjustment . the FP strikes at the 7 o'clock position on the primer. It is second hand so I'm im not sure if this was the original barrel to receiver match

Try this. Remove the barrel and forend, cock the hammer, and then drop the hammer slowly until it contacts the firing pin...see how much firing pin protrusion you have out of the frame, and if its at any type of angle.

My guess is the previous owner either changed the hammer spring for a lighter powered one, or clipped a couple coils off of the factory spring in an effort to get a lighter trigger pull. If you can replace the hammer spring with a factory standard spring, it may start working.

Make sure the frame is SB2 frame and not a rimfire sporter frame or SB1. The SB2 are hardened frame the other aren't and recoil will push the firing pin face back causing a head space issue. I have some extra strikers if needed. they aren't supposed to have an indentation in it.

Shim where the barrel pivots on the reviver with strips of coke can or similar to tighten the lock up and sounds like the trigger is gummed up on the inside.

So I traded into a Handi rifle, I headed out to shoot it and nothing, small dents in the primer but after several attempts, nothing. I looked on the internet for any help. I found the H&R service number, called it several times with no answer.
The internet had all kinds of advice mostly replacing the hammer spring, new firing pin etc.
So after inspecting the rifle I noticed the transfer bar was large and square and leaving a big indention over the firing pin. so I decided to relieve the bar to only contact the firing pin upon firing. The lower part of the hammer was contacting the transfer bar hinge so I relieved it also. It seems to have corrected the issue. I only fired it once, as I'm going to reset the crooked scope, and I didn't want to waste ammo. Anyway I thought this may help someone.
You may have not realized, but Marlin bought H&R, then Remington bought Marlin and shut down H&R. Now Ruger bought the remnants of Marlin after the Remington bankruptcy. I doubt there is any factory support for an H&R.

Just curious, what kind of ammo are you using? I have a Handi in 45-70 and a Buffalo Classic in the same. Using CCI primers, I had light primer strikes. Started using federal primers in them and they have fired perfect since

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom