• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gym Rats and Beefcakes... what supplements do you recommend ?

Porter Rockwell

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
93   0
Reaction score
I’m 45, and wanting to add a modest amount of muscle mass. In the past I’ve had some shoulder issues from some bad form benching with more weight than was wise. I’ve taken some time off and lost a good bit of muscle, I want to start lifting again. Looking for some supplement advice. Whey protein and Creatine is all I’ve done in the past, anything a guy my age needs or will help to increase my strength and size? And no, I won’t buy any pills or shots from the guy outside the gym in the Escalade.

I am not trying to get huge, way to late in the game for that anyway. I just want to add 10-15lbs of muscle over the next year or so to help fight of the effects of aging. At my age, can one realistically still add 10-15lbs of muscle in a year or two? Is that possible.

Yes it’s possible.. protein and creative is a good start for sure... I’m not up to date on any new supplements on the market.. but I know some guys here are.. I’m interested in further info... muscle has what’s called muscle memory and you should start getting back what you’ve lost .. just make sure to do correct form and don’t push it to far too fast

Definitely in. I'm curious about Creatine for a 51 yr old. When I was younger, i worked out a lot, now that I'm looking to do the same as you. Just a little strength training to possibly offset the aging process.

Get your testosterone levels checked first, make sure they are optimal... if they are not, get a testosterone replace therapy prescription

Get on a solid nutrition plan and Stick with it

lift weights

Most of the “supplements” ie: the protein powders, creatine, is all bulll****..

your physique is going to be 100% based on what you consume food wise and your genetics (muscle belly’s, inserts, length, etc )

I worked at and ended up managing a supplement store for a combined 10 years, along with working out quite extensively prior to my current job.

Take your protein like you should and you will get what your looking for.

How you take your protein will also depend on what you are trying to do.

I always recommend consulting a Dr. before doing any exercise regimin or supplementation as he knows what's going on with you in the first place.

Idealy, get a protein that is cheap enough to where you can afford to take it 2-3x a day, usually between two meals or when you will go a while without eating and right after your workout.

Take it with water as taking it will milk will add another 200-400 calories per shake, if you did that three times a day that would be 600-1200 extra calories a day in just milk not counting what ever is in the protein.

Remember every 3500 calories that you bring in past what you burn is 1 pound gained typically good or bad

I found I always got best results with a whey concentrate over an isolate but what's most important typically is taking it like you should. A lot of stuff is like 5 dollars a serving and it's just not cost effective for most people to take it to get the real results with it.

Get your testosterone levels checked first, make sure they are optimal... if they are not, get a testosterone replace therapy prescription

Get on a solid nutrition plan and Stick with it

lift weights

Most of the “supplements” ie: the protein powders, creatine, is all bulll****..

your physique is going to be 100% based on what you consume food wise and your genetics (muscle belly’s, inserts, length, etc )

What he said^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty of water, eat sufficient protein and carbs, a good multivitamin.
Nothing else
This all day ^^^
Real food and supplemental protein when you need it along with the right work out. If you want to be bigger vs leaner you can manage that with the diet.

It works for me with 3x a week at the gym.

Back
Top Bottom