• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gussied Up 10/22 vs. Ruger Precision Rimfire vs. "Whatcha got?"

toobaroque

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
38   0
Reaction score
I took two of my most recent favorite rifles to the range recently to do some testing of different ammo and platforms. Since the outdoor range was closed for a sponsored event, I decided to shoot indoors at the 50 foot range.

Both rifles have been zeroed at 50 yards on the outdoor range and will hit nickel-size pieces of clay pigeon at 100 yards just about every shot (we call this "moment-of-groundhog", so I'm confident that both rifles are "locked in" and ready for this challenge. I wanted to see what each of them would do with two different brands/types of ammo as far as accuracy and consistency.

Ammo #1: Federal Bulk 550 Pack, 1260 FPS, Copper-jacketed HP (used to zero the 10/22)
Ammo #2: CCI Standard Velocity, 1070 FPS, Round-nose (used to zero the RPR)

Gun #1: Ruger 10/22 with Kidd 16" barrel and muzzle brake, PMACA chassis along with various components. Ruger trigger housing contains Kidd hammer/sear/trigger set at slightly over 2 lbs. Scope for this rifle is a Nikon P-Rimfire NikoPlex 2-7x32 1" tube mounted with Nikon P-Series mounts. It features a typical crosshair reticle with adjustable turrets marked for different distances. A picture of the crosshairs is below.

Screenshot_20180517-100131.png

Gun #2: Ruger Precision Rimfire just taken out of the box last week. It is all factory thus far, and I mounted a Burris E1 30mm tube scope that is 3-9x40 and has the Ballistic Plex reticle. It is mounted with Nikon P-Series mounts. I've included a rendition of the reticle below for reference.

Screenshot_20180516-184101.pngScreenshot_20180516-184155.png

Gun #1 - Ruger 10/22 with all the fancy Kidd stuff:

Federal 36 gr Copper Jacket HP, 1260 fps.

From a distance of 50 feet (approx. 17 yards):

With the scope set at 50 yards I shot 5 shots at the center X with Federal ammo. The grouping was fantastic and lower than I expected based on the ballistic chart provided by Nikon, but otherwise very good.

With the scope set at 100 yards I shot 5 shots at the center X with Federal ammo. The pictures speaks for itself.

IMG_20180516_182626490.jpg

CCI Standard Velocity 40 gr Round Nose, 1070 fps.

I set the scope back to 50 yards zero and shot 5 rounds.

I set the scope to 100 yards zero and shot 5 rounds.

Results are below.

IMG_20180516_182744965.jpg

Gun #2 - Ruger Precision Rimfire Bolt Action

Federal 36 gr Copper Jacket HP, 1260 fps.

From a distance of 50 feet (approx. 17 yards):

Scope set at 6x magnification because I couldn't get it to focus clear enough using 7x at this distance... and it's VERY difficult to see this reticle against the black target background.

Using the center X on the reticle because the gun has been sighted at 50 yards, I shot a 5 round string at the center of the target. As expected, the impact point was low, but again, it was lower than I expected it to be based on the Burris ballistics chart for this scope and ammo.

Then, using the 2nd hash mark calculated at approximately 101 yards I shot another 5 round string. Results were somewhat disappointing, so I was either shaking or experiencing an earthquake. Either way, they were a little more spread out than I would have hoped.

IMG_20180516_185738548.jpg

CCI Standard Velocity 40 gr Round Nose, 1070 fps.

I set the scope back to 50 yards zero and shot 5 rounds.

I set the scope to 100 yards zero and shot 5 rounds.

Results are below:

IMG_20180516_185755550.jpg

Now I know why the online videos speak highly of this rifle shooting CCI SV.

Good write up. The CCI SV seems to be the preferred ammo for these guys, haven't seen much info about match ammo. Ill keep my build with the XRING barrel for now.

Nice range report!

It always amazes me how sensitive .22's are to ammo selection.

My FVSR seems to love the Aguila SV more than the CCI SV.

SV is consistently great shooting ammo just about anything I put it through. But as can be seen by your range report the 36 grain bulk stuff holds it's own.

SV is consistently great shooting ammo just about anything I put it through route. But as can be seen by seen by your range report the 36 grain bulk stuff holds it's own.
Especially through that Kidd barrel. That barrel is scary accurate, and the gun is so much fun to shoot, as you have personally experienced.

I watch this range report on a variety of ammo the other day and the attached results validate the accuracy of CCI. Some of the alleged Target ammo did not perform very well.
IMG_20180517_152918_01~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom