• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun collections

I have been selling guns and related items for the past week for a neighbor whose husband recently passed away. Before he died he told his wife not to let their son have his truck or his guns. Unknown what reason he had for this (other then the kid lives in NJ) the wife, needless to say gave the truck to the son (he is going to pay for it....yeah, right) and cleaned out the gun safe and other related items. It is unknown what he took, i have found empty Remington , browning, s&w, Springfield, etc. boxes. This kid is a teacher in NJ, lives in a very small house. I will be surprised if he either robbed or arrested if he tells anyone of his ill gotten booty. I have also been thinning my herd over the past few years, first unloading (no pun) any class 3 items I had as they are harder to move via estate. The rest are in my will.
What kind of class three items?

If your kids dont want them or will not enjoy them there is no need to keep them. I would keep the ones I enjoy and the ones I shoot and sell the others. There is no reason to add that burden on my wife when Im dead to figure out what to do with stuff. Of the stuff I have the only things Ill leave will be guns and pens (nothing fancy just ones I prefer) and a watch (again about as basic as vanilla ice cream). The rest is just stuff no one would want. Of course my family will probably use the guns and throw the pens and watch in a drawer.

I am selling all of my guns except for a couple the kids shot. I think that we wish the things we liked will mean something to the kids but it is unlikely. I am sure I have popped up on some agencies radar due to the number of guns I have sold in the last 2 years but it was from 40 years of collecting. A benchmark came last week when I sold my last 200 series Sig. I got my first one nearly 40 years ago when it was the best semi auto available.
just a few more oddballs left To sell. Can’t decide if I will keep the 454 ruger. I might get out to the wilderness in retirement. I do not think there will ever be a better dangerous game handgun.

Same boat. One son, no interest (that kills me). Unfortunately even the next generation (great nephews) is showing little/no interest. Will begin slowly whittling it down a little to stuff I actually use or that has significant sentimental value (most from my father) and then hopefully be able to put names on what is left. Hopefully I have a good while to worry about it.

This thread has me thinking. I have stuff I haven't touched other than to move it out of the way in over a decade. I don't mean stuff I haven't shot, I mean stuff I haven't even bothered to get out and look at. I really should consider getting rid of 90% of this crap and spending the money on something my family can enjoy.

Since having our girl ive started figuring out whats worth keeping for a while and whats worth dumping and using to make her happy. That and going shooting once in like 2 years makes you think why do i need this stuff? Unless we have a kid that really gets into guns ill sell all but a few and let my class 3 stuff go to the cops or something. No one will want to go through the headache for a shot out 20-30 year old can or SBR.

Back
Top Bottom