• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun cleaner and oil

mcdougmd

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
67   0
Reaction score
What gun oil do you prefer? Brand, type, experience with it. I’m looking for what you guys use on Ar’s, bolt guns and pump shotguns to keep em running and easy to clean.

Breakfree CLP. I tried Froglube for a min but found my shotgun was "sticky" after a month of sitting in my safe

Reactions: GFB
I'm a recent Ballistol convert.

My newest crush is 00 grease. It's thin - I apply it with a fingernail polish brush - but it's not supposed to flow like oil but stay in place like grease.

Balistol! End of.
My vote as well....Use it for a while and it actually embeds itself into the pores of the metal ...so even when it "looks" dry,your metal still has some protection.Also after using it on a firearm for a bit,I have read,and it looks to be the case,that two wearing surfaces will burnish or "seat"...polish..themselves, resulting in closer tolerances and less wear.However I do use grease on the rails of my semi-autos as it stays put where you apply.Like CLP it is a cleaner and lubricant but with the added advantage of making short work of lead and copper fouling.That is if you dont let it get to far gone.You may have to do some extra applications by allowing it to "work"for several days to get it all.I wish I had discovered this product years ago it has become all I use now.Corrosive priming?No problem,takes care of that too.
Although I love the smell of ole Hopes#9 and still have some ancient Rig soaked rags that I use to wipe down a handled firearm,but when serious about cleaning a dirty firearm,I look to Ballistol,its a great product.

I'm a recent Ballistol convert.

My newest crush is 00 grease. It's thin - I apply it with a fingernail polish brush - but it's not supposed to flow like oil but stay in place like grease.
Good idea with the brush....Im gonna grab some small modeling brushes next time Im at the dollar store and do the same.Using the tip as an applicator,too much is applied and I usually wipe off clumps of excess after assembly resulting in waste.

Back
Top Bottom