• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Growing Sweet Potatoes For the Home Victory Garden

Sowega86

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
Exiled to Southwest Georgia
9   0
Reaction score
I planted my first sweet potatoes (a tropical plant related to the morning glory and not an Irish potato which is of the nightshade family) in 2019 from rooted slips sold at Lowe's that were the Beauregard variety. They did really well sending out 7 to 8-foot vines. Out of about 25 plants, we harvested a rectangular laundry basket full but halved them into another laundry basket so we could cure them in the utility shed for two weeks (warm and dry). Newly harvested sweet potatoes have no flavor because the starch has to convert to sugar during curing. Any injured potatoes (pierced, broken, etc.) need to be separated from the non-injured or be immediately consumed. My experience is that potatoes damaged from the excavation will usually rot within 3 days due to airborne molds and fungus.

In 2020 I decided to order unrooted slips from: https://www.sweetpotatoplant.com/ (Steele Plant Company) and I focused on the best varieties that offered the most disease resistance. You may be able to buy bundles of slips from a local feed and seed store.

In January 2021, I grew my own slips (a.k.a. shoots) from leftover sweet potatoes that were too small to eat. I used plastic shoeboxes (purchased from Walmart @ $0.88 each with lid- no drain holes were drilled) that contained an inch of potting soil that was slightly moist and each potato was placed on the soil surface. I later added a 20" x 20" seedling heating pad to keep the soil warm and to encourage growth. Sweet potatoes are tropical and prefer warm soil. After 3-4 weeks, shoots began to form on the ends and as they grew, roots developed and grew into the soil. When the shoots grow to about four inches tall, they can be removed from the potato and planted directly into the garden when the soil temps are 60F or above. My preference is to plant them into peat pots and let them grow through the pot for another two weeks which results in a very stable transplant. In 2021, I planted close to 125 rooted slips which produced about 120 lbs of potatoes. For 2022 I have purchased aluminum trays from Dollar Tree which will conduct heat far better than the plastic shoeboxes. And I intend to grow fewer rooted slips as I plan to purchase a bush variety of sweet potatoes from Steele in January 2022 (they ship in April for planting in South Georgia). I plan to use the extra heating mat capacity to raise some lettuce transplants for an early spring garden. This variety of lettuce, https://parkseed.com/mini-romaine-blend-lettuce-seeds/p/52735-PK-P1/ which matures in 45 days.

Started my own slips for the first time this year and grew mine in round raised beds made out of culvert sections. Got about 100 pounds. I didn’t use my heat mat to start my slips but did start them in the greenhouse. Used black cow brand cow manure to start in.
That would be the better way of keeping them contained. Every year since I started growing them, I have found them growing in places where I never planted them- probably where a vine node had rooted.

That would be the better way of keeping them contained. Every year since I started growing them, I have found them growing in places where I never planted them- probably where a vine node had rooted.
They love to root, even in the culverts the vines go everywhere And will root. The main advantage I have in the culvert is ease of harvest and controlling the soil. I will use a bag of black cow along with some good garden soil, compost and vermiculite, when the sweet taters are harvested I move this soil to other beds and put new soil in again next year Or as I did this year plant onions in the bed and have the material to set up some new beds next year. This gives a good soft soil that produces nicely shaped tubers. They grow quickly and seem to be less fibrous as a result. Input cost is a little higher because of the bought cow manure but it gets recycled to other beds to build the soil there.

You said they make vines. Are the potatoes scattered underground all along the vines? Can you see where they are by looking at the vine? Sorry, but I'm used to peanuts & white potatoes. Sweet potatoes, know nothing.
You plant the slip (rooted or not) and its roots later set potatoes. Like Kudzu, it will send out a vine between 6-8 feet in all directions. And leaf nodes on the vine can send out roots and later potatoes. In my garden, any vines that escape the garden get mowed, and I have always found potatoes along the perimeter of the garden which is not where they were originally planted but where the vines rooted and set more potatoes. Most of the potatoes make underneath where the slip was planted. Sometimes they grow near the surface and part of the potato will be exposed.

Steele has a variety called Vardaman that was developed in Vardaman, MS which is a "bush" variety and supposedly doesn't vine as much. I was considering that variety for next year as I might be able to maximize output, i.e. plant them closer together. If you order from Steele's, you have to place your order in January to reserve your plants.

Info: https://extension.uga.edu/publications/detail.html?number=C1014

Garden Series: https://extension.uga.edu/publications/series/detail/71/Home-Garden.html

Cultivating Sweet Potatoes and Pest Mgmt.: https://extension.uga.edu/publications/detail.html?number=B1489

Steele Plant Company is selling sweet potato slips during the month of January 2022 for shipment to your planting zone later in the spring. I'm buying 50 slips of the Orleans variety (which produces more #1s than Beauregard though related) listed in a mailer I received from Steele, and also 50 of the Vardaman variety which grows no vines. They emailed an invoice which I will pay over the phone. The Orleans variety carries a small royalty fee ($3.25) since it was bred by LSU. And no sales tax! Steele's email contact information is: plants@steeleplantcompany.com
Telephone: (731) 648-5476
Their website is: https://www.sweetpotatoplant.com/our-sweet-potatoes/

Steele Plant Company is selling sweet potato slips during the month of January 2022 for shipment to your planting zone later in the spring. I'm buying 50 slips of the Orleans variety (which produces more #1s than Beauregard though related) listed in a mailer I received from Steele, and also 50 of the Vardaman variety which grows no vines. They emailed an invoice which I will pay over the phone. The Orleans variety carries a small royalty fee ($3.25) since it was bred by LSU. And no sales tax! Steele's email contact information is: plants@steeleplantcompany.com
Telephone: (731) 648-5476
Their website is: https://www.sweetpotatoplant.com/our-sweet-potatoes/
I got their flyer too. i got my original slips from them several years ago, they are good people to do business with. I started my own slips from cull seeet potatoes last year, it was very easy to do.

Back
Top Bottom