• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GROUNDFLOOR - Real Estate Crowdfunding Platform

czub

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
38   0
Reaction score
I've been looking at this platform since last year based on recommendations of a buddy who's been investing with them for several years and in February I finally decided to go in. So far it's been pretty good, some of the loans I invested in have already paid off in as little as 2 months.

This group is based in Atlanta, has been around for 5+ years and offers a way for individuals to invest in real estate markets across the country by participating in real estate loans with as little as $10 per.

They do their own underwriting and pre-funding of the loans, rank loans by tiers (A, B, C, D, etc) and assign interest rates based on various factors like skin the game (borrower equity), borrower experience, location/market, loan-to-value, etc. They manage risk by monitoring construction/renovation progress and reimbursing the borrower for costs incurred via monthly draws based on project updates.

Rates range from 6% to 16%. If you invested equally in all their loans last year, your annual return would've been around 10.5% after all costs/losses.

The aggregate platform-wide principal loss for all loans last year was less than 0.5%, but clearly if you invest in only a handful loans and one of them fails, your loss could be substantial so the key is to diversify and be in at least ~20 loans.

This could be somewhat of a problem but there are ways to mitigate it. If you only want to go in with, say, $3k, that means you're investing $150 per property/loan. At 10%, your $150 investment is expected to return $15, which is too low to justify any kind of significant due diligence.

You could simply put $10 in every single loan they have for ultimate diversification but I don't like this shotgun approach. Instead, what I've been doing with a few of my buddies is when one of us finds a loan he likes (interest rate, credit tier, skin-in-the-game, market, loan-to-value, zillow sale comps and general area market), he shares it with others.

I like the "B" through "D" space. "A" tier returns are too low to justify the hassle and "E" or lower carry more risk than I want to take.

Here is a sample "D" loan, this one is in Lake Worth, FL: https://www.groundfloor.us/investments/laf49738d587c3
$56k equity, $241k loan. They claim appraised value at completion is $345k, which is in line with recent sales on that street and in the area. The house was purchased for $255k last month and the work already started. 12 month loan at 13.0%.

Check it out if you're interested.
FAQ: http://support.groundfloor.us/customer/en/portal/topics/620522-investors/articles
2018 year review: https://blog.groundfloor.com/2018-year-in-review

I can't remember, but you may need to register to see all available loans as well as loans that funded or already repaid. Before you do so, PM me for referral link so that both you and I can get an extra $20.

"If you invested equally in all their loans last year, your annual return would've been around 10.5% after all costs/losses."

Yes, and after taxes and inflation you will have gone backward in terms of initial purchasing power of the invested amount.

Do you have to thread crap every finance section discussion with your inane musings and predictions of eventual TEOTWAWKI? If your create your own thread on the criminal theft that is fiat money and the wonders of buying silver coins, I promise to stay out of it and not pollute it with common sense. :thumb:

Back on topic.

Here's one in Decatur: https://www.groundfloor.us/investments/la_be1b9b7ee35d
12 months @ 11%.

ISblajhglaxgal1000000000.jpg

$384k loan. $43k equity. Appraised after-repair value is $571k, which seems high to me but Decatur prices are crazy. Here is a comparable house on the same block that sold for $492k last week, so high $400k after-repair value a is probably reasonable, still giving you a very healthy cushion.

ISqx6dxy1e470y0000000000.jpg

"If you invested equally in all their loans last year, your annual return would've been around 10.5% after all costs/losses."

Yes, and after taxes and inflation you will have gone backward in terms of initial purchasing power of the invested amount.

moosensquirrel moosensquirrel Do you have a suggestion for a fairly secure passive investment that will net more than 10.5%?

moosensquirrel moosensquirrel Do you have a suggestion for a fairly secure passive investment that will net more than 10.5%?
One of my precious metals mutual funds is up 41% this year, and it is not even considered an aggressive fund. It is a no-load fund.

Nothing that is denominated in fiat currency is secure these days. One might make a million USD, but using traditional math, $1,000,000 x 0=0... zero in terms of purchasing power unless you re-invest it in something real with inherent value, especially something you can put beyond government reach....and that is where the USD is going, i.e. zero purchasing power. The USD is simply the best looking horse in the glue factory as all the worlds fiat currencies race to the bottom. As far as TEOTWAWKI, the world will not end, but it is anyone's guess how it will play out. Left to themselves, things always go from bad to worse.

Do you have to thread crap every finance section discussion with your inane musings and predictions of eventual TEOTWAWKI? If your create your own thread on the criminal theft that is fiat money and the wonders of buying silver coins, I promise to stay out of it and not pollute it with common sense. :thumb:

Back on topic.

12 months @ 11%.

It is sense that is all too common that does the polluting.

$384k loan. $43k equity. Appraised after-repair value is $571k, which seems high to me but Decatur prices are crazy. Here is a comparable house on the same block that sold for $492k last week, so high $400k after-repair value a is probably reasonable, still giving you a very healthy cushion.

Back on topic.

12 months @ 11%.

common sense never pollutes a logical discussion.

Back
Top Bottom