• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Griffin Gun Club

Braxton1

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Survivalist
10   0
Reaction score
Regrettably, it appears that we have lost Griffin Gun Club as a USPSA and SCSA (Steel Challenge) venue, effective immediately.

The reasons given publicly by the BoD of the Club in their newsletter were:

a. new residences and businesses going in on Amelia Road, in-line with the normal firing direction; exacerbated by,

b. low berms on Bays 1, 2, and 3, which would have been cost-prohibitive to remediate; and,

c. displeasure voiced by some members that most of the bays were occupied by competitions three Saturdays out of the month with SCSA, USPSA, and SASS (the "Cowboy" shooters). The newsletter stated that they wanted to move in a more family-oriented direction.

I hate that this has happened. I have my own opinion as to the true cause of this action, but as a non-member, it's irrelevant.

Their Board has invited Club member input on the matter, but I have been told that they were holding pretty firmly to this decision. If anything changes, I will update y'all ASAP.

Always sucks when BoDs kill matches.
What happened when clubs, associations, membership venues took the dues, fees and actually did something to improve things? I was a member of NRA - they did basically SQUAT for me except beg for money immediately after I paid a hefty 5-year membership fee.. Oh...wait..... Wayne got him a couple of new Gucci suits and a limo during that time...

That really sucks, I guarantee you those bays will be underutilized, probably end up as storage for all the club trash.

IMO competition, specially SC, gets the new younger shooters to keep on shooting. It's also usually a pretty good revenue maker for the club, as it cost little once the initial outlay for the steel has been recouped. Cannot get more family oriented either.

As a member of GGC I can tell you they were being sued by the complainant and to remedy it would have been to expensive so they voted to close those 3 ranges and bull doze them. Sucks yall lost the range for the matches

As a member of GGC I can tell you they were being sued by the complainant and to remedy it would have been to expensive so they voted to close those 3 ranges and bull doze them. Sucks yall lost the range for the matches
That's a more reasonable explanation. Already know of 2 ranges that had to shut down and reconfigure shooting bays because of the Urban sprawl.

The griffin gun club was sued by a former member for something that happened
on the trap range 5 years ago. It would not have been cost prohibitive to put higher
backstops behind bays 1 2 and 3. The lawsuit had absolutely nothing to do with
pistol shooting. The fact is the griffin gun club BOD just simply doesnt know anything
about steel challenge or uspsa shooting. They get some rather bad advice from the
bankrupt NRA. They are spending big money on dead shooting sports they will soon have
a really nice 3 position rimfire range it will never return a dime to the club.
Steel challenge and uspsa made over 100,000.00 for the club since 2014
They say they want to support the youth shooting, Steel Challenge is the shooting
game for youth. They like it and they are able to start very young around 8 in
the rimfire rifle division. The whole thing is just disgusting to me.

I am surprised the BOD there doesn't know the impact SC has on the club and shooting sport in the area, considering GGC used to host the GA State SC Match.

I shot my first GA State Match there, sad times.

Back
Top Bottom