• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Great weekend for my kids and I.

24on48hunting

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Deer Hunting Junkie
215   1
Reaction score
It’s been a heck of a weekend for us. My son got his first wall hanger buck on Friday, at 3:15 PM. I had pictures on my trail cam of this buck coming through at 6 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. on Friday morning. I had a feeling that he’d be back again in the afternoon.
Not long after climbing up, my son said that he heard something walking in the leaves behind us. He turned around to look and nothing was there. I couldn’t hear it due to my hearing being somewhat diminished, but I could tell that he was serious and had indeed heard something. After a minute or so, I heard it too and when I turned around to look, I could see a buck, 35 yards away, coming up the edge of a stand of short, planted pines behind us. I helped him get the rifle around to the left side of the stand and ready for the shot. As the buck passed by our stand at 15 yards, I let out a soft bleat with my mouth to stop him. Blaze poured the coals to him and the buck went down right where he stood.
537F7924-14B2-4C29-AE69-D037392ED672.jpeg
CE22E01E-8AA4-4322-ACA2-C09F9544ACB9.jpeg

Yesterday morning, I brought Mya back to the same stand and we got settled in well before first light. The first couple hours were slow, but it was cold and clear and the deer usually filter through this spot mid to late morning, so we just sat back and enjoyed the serenity of the woods coming to life. At 8:45, I finally saw bits and pieces of a deer slipping up the draw towards us. It was a big doe, and she was moving with a purpose, so I started watching her back trail. Sure enough, an even bigger bodied deer was about 50 yards behind her. I saw bits and pieces of a nice set of antlers and told Mya to get the gun ready and pointed down a shooting lane. The buck started across the lane and I let out a mouth bleat to stop him. Mya got on him and at the crack of the rifle, I heard a solid thud from the impact of the bullet. He tore out of there, running over the ridge and out of sight.
We sat back and gave him some time to expire.
We picked up the blood trail after an hour and a half and it didn’t look good. The blood was dark, watery and had stomach contents in it-I knew the shot was definitely back a bit but I had a feeling it was a liver hit as well as gut. It was a very sparse trail and hard to follow, so we marked the trail and backed out.
After a couple more hours, my Father and a good friend of mine brought Mya back to the blood trail to find her buck. After some hands and knees crawling over the course of the 340 yard long track, we found her buck bedded in a thicket along a creekbottom. The last 75-100 yards wasn’t on a trail and the buck was barreling through some really thick stuff, so I had a feeling that we were close to the end.
Giving him time to expire was probably the right call to make, as the buck appeared to have only expired and hour or so before we found him. It was such a proud moment for me, seeing them lay their hands on both of their deer.
It’s been a great past couple of days for us and we’ve been blessed for sure!
66D2A061-F51A-4AB6-A60D-BB7CD4B13A1C.jpeg
26FBE832-4024-4945-8585-2D2469B4880F.jpeg
7D90B43F-DCA4-4E5F-96E7-05C4D88AE5DF.jpeg
D352C4F5-932A-49A2-991B-958B11F776D1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom