• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Grandson wants driver's license

The Old Jaybird

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
39   0
Reaction score
My 18 year old grandson wants to get his license. What do we need to bring to the Motor Vehicle office? What is involved? He is in Gainesville and will go to that local office near the airport. He will be using my car because it has an automatic trans. He has very limited experience behind the wheel. Will they let him get a regular license without first getting a learner's permit? I just found out about this about an hour ago after the DMV had closed. What does he need besides a birth certificate?

Any and all info appreciated.

My 18 year old grandson wants to get his license. What do we need to bring to the Motor Vehicle office? What is involved? He is in Gainesville and will go to that local office near the airport. He will be using my car because it has an automatic trans. He has very limited experience behind the wheel. Will they let him get a regular license without first getting a learner's permit? I just found out about this about an hour ago after the DMV had closed. What does he need besides a birth certificate? Finally score was an 86. 10 points off because he did not look over his shoulder when backing (relied on camera) and 4 points for not being within 18 inches of the curb when parallel parking. Good luck! An 18 yr old man needs his license.

Any and all info appreciated.

My son just got his saturday. The road test is a joke. He needs to be able to back up in a straight line for about 100' AND make sure he looks over his right shoulder when he does so and not rely on a backup camera (if any). AND make sure he can parallel park and back into a parking lot from a 90 degree angle (like you drove past one and then back into it) other than that we never left the parking lot and no one rode along with us. Just me and him in the car. He will have to make an appointment and it may be weeks out before he can get a date. We went to Cumming. Those folks did a fine job - and I don't say that a lot!

https://dds.georgia.gov/how-do-i-class-c-license

Im pretty sure below a certain age is required to get a learners permit first. If he has little driving experience it is probably the way to go.

He can find learners permit tests online and you can also pick up a booklet to help him study from a dmv. The learners permit test will only be answering multiple choice and no driving.

Good luck.

He will have to get a learners permit first before getting a regular license. Computer test only for that road test comes once he is eligible for a regular license

Not if you are 18. I thought the same thing but the lady told us Saturday if he waited a few more months he wouldn't have needed the Joshua laws requirements either (he will be 18 in a few months). But that was a conversation at the window, I saw no documents about ti either way.

Not if you are 18. I thought the same thing but the lady told us Saturday if he waited a few more months he wouldn't have needed the Joshua laws requirements either (he will be 18 in a few months). But that was a conversation at the window, I saw no documents about ti either way.

Was not aware of that thanks for correcting me:thumb:

He will have to get a learners permit first before getting a regular license. Computer test only for that road test comes once he is eligible for a regular license

Negative. Made my son wait til he was 18, so I didn’t have to fool with that **** hole DMV, but One time.
Even told him to tell the instructor he’d just skip the parallel parking since he’d most likely never have to do that, so he passed only failing that part which was -10 I believe.

What is Joshua Law???

Do I understand correctly that he can get a driver's license directly at age 18 without having to get a learner's first?

My sons are now 42 and 37, but back when they were starting they had learner's permits for 12 months....I made them double up before getting a license, but they were 16.

Back
Top Bottom