• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Grain Mill Aficionados

talkstosquirrels

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
33   0
Reaction score
I am looking for the low-down on grain mills. I need to hear from someone that has owned both the $150 version and the $600 version. My tendency, as I have gained a little wisdom, is to get the spendy piece of gear, and only have to do it once. But... I have no experience with grain mills. I want a manual one that can be attached to a secondary turning device if need be such as a bicycle, water-wheel, slow-speed generator with a fly-wheel etc...

Hopefully there is someone out there that knows, or knows someone that knows.

Thanks in advance ODT brethren.

-Squirrels

Well at least I know I'm not in the minority. Out of 34 views, not one person knew. Well, I did get a PM from an informative member at Truprep in Marietta. Heading there this week.

I've been looking into one for cracking grain for home brewing beer, but I'm in the same boat as you as far as knowing JACK! What I'm looking for may be a little different than yours though, because I just need one to crack the husk, not pulverize into flour.

lol. I read it when you posted the quesiton becuase i'm interested in the responses as well. everything that i've read points towards the Country Living grain mill:

http://countrylivinggrainmills.com/

I am pretty sure that TruePrep sells them, and many other places that cater to the preppers do as well. seems to be the best out there for the price (not cheap but will last a lifetime), and very high quality. Allows you to add a motor or figure out other ways to power it (saw a video of a guy that has it powered by his horse).

Unless I hear or see something different this is what I will buy in the near future.

Ready Made Resources in Tellico Plains TN was where I heard about it a while ago, and its in some of the books as being one of the better (if not best) mills.

storing flour isn't the best idea, it doesn't keep very well without a lot of preservatives....the two best hand grain mills are country living at $429 and wonder jr at $229....there are no others as far as hand mills that are worth considering...both have options for adding power,both are adjustable for fineness of grind,both can be used to grind wheat,beans,rice,etc....if you want to come see them and talk about them please stop by truprep :)

Back
Top Bottom