• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gov. Kemp says repeal citizens arrest law

If you are a constituent to one of these Representatives, be sure to mention that in the first line of your email. Note Bert Reeves is the author of the legislation, so he likes it, and Todd Jones has already argued in favor of it as well. The Governor favors HB 479, too, so it is going to take a concerted effort if you want to stop this bill in the Judiciary Committee.

Honestly, 'citizens arrest' has been a joke for decades at least. If you actually try it you will most likely end up in jail or sued or both. It went out with the posse and is just as relevant today.

Still, there's about 1.27 billion more important things for him to be dealing with right now.
This is a sad attitude. For whatever it is worth to you, your second sentence is simply untrue. I have made a citizen's arrest more than once and received nothing but thanks from law enforcement (and the victim). Back when I was a police officer I took into custody persons who had been arrested by citizens as well. Where did you come up with this nonsense? Do you have any facts to back up your statements?

Does that mean that instead of holding for arrest, we just shoot and wait for slab wagon?

This Governor, along with his Lieutenant Governor and Secretary of State belong in prison for their collusive complicity in stealing this last election. Barring them being recalled, they all three should be primaried on their next election attempts. IMO, they are criminals.

Here's the bill: https://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/59726

Here's what will happen to Georgians (you):

In HB 479, I do not qualify as a "private person". Ordinary people do not fall under the definition of a "private person". What is a "private person" per HB 479? It's only four categories of special people:

(b) A private person may detain an individual if such private person is:
(1) An owner of a retail establishment who has reasonable grounds to believe that the
individual sought to be detained has committed or attempted to commit the offense of
theft by shoplifting as set forth in Code Section 16-8-14, refund fraud as set forth in Code
Section 16-8-14.1, or theft by unlawful use of retail sales receipts or Universal Product
Code labels as set forth in Code Section 16-8-17;
(2) An owner of a food service establishment who has reasonable grounds to believe that
the individual sought to be detained has committed or attempted to commit theft by
taking as set forth in Code Section 16-8-2 or theft of services as set forth in Code Section
16-8-5;
(3) A weight inspector under Article 5 of Chapter 2 of Title 35 when needed for purposes
of performing his or her duties under such article; or
(4) A licensee or registrant under Chapter 38 of Title 43 when needed in the performance
of his or her business conducted in conformance with such chapter.

If an assailant punches me in the eye and starts running away, it would be illegal for me to detain the perpetrator. HB 479 turns victims into criminals.

I've heard from one member of the committee over and over that "16-3-24 allows you to use reasonable force to defend your property." This response dodges the concern I have raised.

When an assailant begins to retreat after having committed even a forcible felony, HB 479 makes it illegal for the victim to detain the assailant unless the victim is defined above as "private person", which most are not.

Another example: a husband walks into his home and finds that his wife had just been raped. The assailant flees the scene out the rear door of the home. HB 479 makes it illegal for the husband to detain the rapist. The husband could be charged with kidnapping and false imprisonment if he holds the rapist until police arrive because he is not defined as a "private person". This is completely unacceptable. This is a reprehensible and immoral piece of legislation.

Under HB 479, if a criminal steals a bottle of booze from a liquor store, he could be legally arrested by any store employee. If he rapes your wife or daughter, you cannot touch him if he is retreating from your property.

Kemp and Co. places a $10 bottle of booze as more worthy of arrest protection than Georgia's women.

Will you take action, or sit back and let it happen? Are you a man?

Back
Top Bottom