• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gov. Kemp says repeal citizens arrest law

More knee jerk feel good legislation that solves a problem that really did not exist. This whole thing has turned into a black and white issue. So, if you oppose it you're a racist bigot according to the left. Time for this bill to die in the senate.

He is doing this to placate BLM, period. It's about those two white guys that killed a black man under the guise of 'citizens arrest' they felt was stealing.

In truth, that matter is being already handled and prosecuted under CURRENT Georgia law and there is no need to repeal this law change nonsense Kemp is using to divert attention away from his collusion in stealing this last election.

I just contacted Gooch and explained why this is a bad bill. I'm not saying that there should not be a overhaul of the statute, but in its current form it criminalizes good community involvement and common sense.

Seems like this will keep wanna be Barney’s from escalating non violent situations into violent ones. Or am I missing something?
You are definitely missing something....

Please review again:

Who are the only non law enforcement legally people allowed to arrest someone under HB 479? They are called "Private Persons". What is a Private Person? There are only four categories of Private Persons under HB 479:

1) An owner of a retail establishment
2) An owner of a food service establishment
3) A weight inspector under Article 5 of Chapter 2 of Title 35
4) A licensee or registrant under Chapter 38 of Title 43

If you don't qualify as a Private Person after this law passes and you arrest a criminal, like the Good Samaritans did at the Atlanta Chick-fil-A, you will likely will be charged with false imprisonment, a 10 year felony in GA.

Chick-fil-A citizen's arrest in Atlanta:

https://www.11alive.com/article/new...fil-a/85-b2e9ab34-68cc-489e-9cf6-cc66facc60ef

Citizens arrest is a joke. I don’t know what really went on down in Brunswick but that “citizens arrest” was the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard

citizens arrest really only has one useful place and that’s detaining a shoplifter in your store until the cops arrive. That’s about all you can get away with anyway.

Who cares if it goes bye-bye?

Go ahead and put those anti-Kemp bumper stickers on your car. Look like a Stacy lover. I’ll vote for kemp over her any day.

god dang y’all ODT’rs are the whiniest m’frs on the planet

Imagine a guy comes home one afternoon expecting to find his teenage daughter home alone because the wife isn't coming back for work for a few hours.
As he parks his car he hears his girl screaming from inside!

Mr. Homeowner rushes in the door and sees that Daughter is actively being raped, by some strange man, & he looks like a homeless bum at least 50 years old.

He's naked, she's been beaten and has a bloody lip cuts on the side of her face, and is tied to the sofa in the den. She's screaming her head off --"help me! help me!"
and this completely naked man is pounding her, until he sees DADDY at the door.

He pulls out and heads toward the window and begins unlocking it to escape. Daddy rushes to the opposite side of the living room and grabs a shotgun off the fireplace mantle-- it's magazine loaded so all he has to do is chamber a round and he's ready! He gets that round chambered just as the rapist steps through the now-open window and makes a dash across the front lawn.

Daddy can see the rapist, despite his age, is too fast to catch on foot. Besides this father and homeowner has a bad knee from his high school football days.
Daddy decides that the only practical way to stop this rapist from escaping the scene is to use the shotgun, so he points it at the man's back and says loudly: "stop or I'll shoot!"

Mr. Rapist flips Daddy the bird over his shoulder, while still running away.

Daddy blasts two loads of buckshot at the man who at that point was 80 yards ahead and just about to disappear into the thick tree line of the woods.
One of the pellets from one of those shells hit the guy, dropping him, seriously injuring him, and allowing the Sheriffs deputies to find him and arrest him 10 minutes later when they arrive.

Now, this is not a case of self-defense, or defense of others.
Period.

The crimes he did against the daughter were over, fully completed, and the violent felon was leaving the scene even before daddy got his hands on the family shotgun .

This rapist was obviously unarmed, because we was naked!

Therefore, the only way the father's actions could be justified would be under the doctrine of citizens arrest --he saw a crime taking place in front of him, and he wanted to arrest the perpetrator and hold him for the police, and the only way he could make the arrest happen successfully these circumstances
was to use deadly force-- which he did.

The new Georgia bill that Gov. Brian Kemp advocates for, and helped create a unanimous vote for in the house, would strip Daddy of any legal protection he has here and make him a violent criminal and felon himself --guilty of aggravated assault, aggravated battery, and possibly attempted murder.

It would also leave him at the mercy of greedy personal-injury lawyers who'd want the criminal to sue for damages (that buckshot pellet in his spleen ought to be worth at least $5 million, and any lawyer would be happy to get 1/3 of that as a contingency fee.)

It seems logical to me that if you don't have the right to do a citizens arrest, you're automatically going to be held liable for any injury you cause to the person you are wrongfully arresting.

HB 479 expands police arrest powers.

Citing OCGA § 17-4-60,2 the State contends that Officer J.B. was authorized as a private citizen to arrest Bacon outside of his *692 jurisdiction because a crime was committed in his presence.

Bacon v. State, 347 Ga. App. 689, 691–92, 820 S.E.2d 503, 505 (2018)

This is why lines 44-51 are a part of HB 479. It expands police arrest powers!

Go read lines 44-51 ---> https://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/59726

Back
Top Bottom