• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gov. Kemp says repeal citizens arrest law

Exactly what arrest powers do you think you have now to arrest someone who is fleeing a suspected property crime?

If he is beating feet, your only remedy is to outrun him and tackle him and sit on him. You can't use deadly force to "arrest" someone who has only committed a crime against property. Under current law, if he executes a bush warrant, there is not much you can do to detain him if you are not able to physically subdue him.

Truthfully, there is a gross over estimation of the significance of "citizens arrests" in preserving societal order. True "citizen's arrest" occur on frequency between appearances of the tooth fairy and unicorn sightings.

Guess what? Everything you stated is true for a police officer attempting to arrest in the same circumstance. I suppose it is useless to have police officers, then? There is not much a police officer can do unless they can run him down and physically subdue him.

OF COURSE you cannot use deadly force to arrest somebody who committed a property crime. By writing that, you made what is called a "straw man fallacy." Nobody here is arguing otherwise.

What is going on here is that you support making a criminal out of somebody like me who would subdue such a criminal (and I have done it, more than once as a "citizen's arrest," and hundreds and hundreds of times as a police officer arrest).

I find it sad that there are so many here on ODT who want to make criminals out of those of us who do something good in such situations (and have done sometj

What? He did not arrest him. He gave him a hug iand released him. Did you even read the article before posting the link?

I read this part of it:

He was not immediately arrested and police investigated it as a citizen’s arrest, records show.

Do you have another interpretation of this language?

okView attachment 3111920

House Bill 479, which would still allow employees at businesses, security officers, private investigators and inspectors at truck scales to detain someone they believe has committed a crime.
And off-duty cops who are outside of their agencies jurisdiction.

But for ordinary people, there is no more right of citizens arrest it's just for government agents, cops and government licensed security guards, and store keepers protecting their store's merchandise.

Because, you know, White gun owners are racists! And have white privilege.
White people cannot be trusted to identify black criminals and arrest them
because we think all the criminals are black,
or we think all Black people are criminals,
or some bullsh** like that.
There’s no need for citizens arrest anyway. That’s why we have cops. Seriously when was the last time you used a citizens arrest??

OF COURSE you cannot use deadly force to arrest somebody who committed a property crime. By writing that, you made what is called a "straw man fallacy." Nobody here is arguing otherwise.

Pretty sure that is exactly what Mrs. Esterhouse has been saying for days. Until he, she or it got called on it.

There’s no need for citizens arrest anyway. That’s why we have cops. Seriously when was the last time you used a citizens arrest??
Do you always seek to criminalize things for which you, personally, see "no need?" That's what gun control folks do. There is "no need" for an AK-47 pattern semi-auto, and somehow this lack of perceived need translates into criminal penalties for those who do see a need. I think it is a desire to control others. Why do you have this desire?

I read this part of it:

Do you have another interpretation of this language?

You seriously think you get to criminalize my good conduct because of how some journalist chose to write an article? The fact remains he did not arrest the robber and turn him over to the police. The police also released the man. Why? Because he did nothing wrong. There are several lessons to be learned from that story other than a journalist's inaccurate characterization of what occurred (which you quoted even after I pointed out that he did not make an arrest at all, and the article says that - they hugged and parted ways).

Back
Top Bottom