• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

good trout lures for chattahoochee?

I fish the north end of the hooch. Often.

I have gotten lucky with a few similar to the rapala lure shown above. But that is the lure I pull when I have exhausted everything else and just want to cast. There is a sinking and a floating, grab both. It is a "catch all" in the hooch.

I have fished from a skiff at the damn before. And caught some of the ones that got a chance to grow... Someone who isnt me suggests to use blueback herring and stingers 3" off the hook but I personally cant attest ;)

I dont like much over a 3 lbs trout to eat. And the sad reason is because they are fed a corn diet until about that age. Especially if they actually make it to the lake.

I know you said that you dont like powerbait or anything similar but the truth is, most of those fish you catch are hatchery fish... let me elaborate.

Most of them had the opportunity to grow in the wild when they got to the hooch. Before that was a feeder stream and that is strictly survive and move down river. I kayak the north end of the hooch April to October. There are so many feeders on the water it will make you sick. Year round. The fish will stay on those feeders until they are washed out or grow enough to move.

Point I'm trying to make is all the fish food they feed is all the same. Looks kinda like small bite dog food. The fish know when the food drops and move between feeders. You can bait a hook with brown powerbait and it's like fishing in a pay pond. Make it float if on river.

I know you are trying to be a purist and stick with the roots and I respect the hell out of that, but if you want to catch more, hear my advice.

If you come up north give me a shout.

I have gotten lucky with a few similar to the rapala lure shown above. But that is the lure I pull when I have exhausted everything else and just want to cast. Their is a sinking and a floating, grab both. It is a "catch all" in the hooch.

I have fished from a skiff at the damn before. And caught some of the ones that got a chance to grow... Someone who isnt me suggests to use blueback herring and stingers 3" off the hook but I personally cant attest ;)

I dont like much over a 3 lbs trout to eat. And the sad reason is because they are fed a corn diet until about that age. Especially if they actually make it to the lake.

I know you said that you dont like powerbait or anything similar but the truth is, most of those fish you catch are hatchery fish... let me elaborate.

Most of them had the opportunity to grow in the wild when they got to the hooch. Before that was a feeder stream and that is strictly survive and move down river. I kayak the north end of the hooch April to October. There are so many feeders on the water it will make you sick. Year round. The fish will stay on those feeders until they are washed out or grow enough to move.

Point I'm trying to make is all the fish food they feed is all the same. Looks kinda like small bite dog food. The fish know when the food drops and move between feeders. You can bait a hook with brown powerbait and it's like fishing in a pay pond.

I know you are trying to be a purist and stick with the roots and I respect the hell out of that, but if you want to catch more, hear my advice.

Never heard of power bait in Brown. Shows you how much I use it. I may add it to my arsenal. I will throw anything on my fly rod. ANYTHING.

Never heard of power bait in Brown. Shows you how much I use it. I may add it to my arsenal. I will throw anything on my fly rod. ANYTHING.
that's because if I see it I buy it all. Will last a while if kept room temp and sealed.

I'm not a fly guy. But I have seen some guys land some nice ones below the mark of the potter on the soquee

Try something like this on your flyrod.
download.jpeg

I have gotten lucky with a few similar to the rapala lure shown above. But that is the lure I pull when I have exhausted everything else and just want to cast. There is a sinking and a floating, grab both. It is a "catch all" in the hooch.

Point I'm trying to make is all the fish food they feed is all the same. Looks kinda like small bite dog food. The fish know when the food drops and move between feeders. You can bait a hook with brown powerbait and it's like fishing in a pay pond. Make it float if on river.

I'm just trying to have some fun catching a few once in a while. If by up north, you mean north of Lanier, I wouldn't mind giving that a shot. I'm only fishing below the dam cause I dont know anywhere else to go this time of year to catch any. Its almost a 40 minute ride to the dam from my house, but it beats the 2.5 hour drive to up to Rock Creek where I usually go. I don't keep fish from the river to eat, so I prefer baits they are less likely to swallow the hook with. If I want trout to eat, I will make the drive to the mountains. Even then, I release most of what I catch.

We would regularly put in float tubes at the dam and float to Hwy 20 bridge. When they rebuilt the bridge they took out where we used to park. Last few times we floated to Settles Bridge. My go to bait has always been silver 1/6 oz Little Cleo. We have always done real well with that. Better than Rooster Tails or Rapalas. Shollower water use a faster retrieve, deeper water slow it down a little.

Back
Top Bottom