• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Give it to me straight on muzzle brakes...

guitarded_1

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
18   0
Reaction score
So I'm having a semi-custom 30-06 hunting rifle built, and seeing as a muzzle brake is standard, I'm going to go ahead and get one - along with a thread protector to shoot without it. Right now, I'm more inclined to not use it - not sure why - maybe because I have never used one. Because I plan to use the rifle on solo elk hunts, I do love the idea of being able to spot shots effectively (with the brake on). This is going to be a light rifle with a lot of muzzle flip without the brake.

I have decided that however I train at the range is how I am going to hunt - so it's either brake on 100% of the time or brake off 100% of the time.

My driving question is this - if I am at a range shooting prone and I have shooters on both sides of me shooting at their benches (because I haven't seen anyone shoot prone at the WMA range where I shoot), how disruptive/annoying/insufferable will I be to other shooters? Is a brake that obnoxious at a range, or are the anecdotal stories I read overblown? Trying to ride the line between using an accessory that doesn't violate the rules (as far as I know), but also being respectful of other shooters who may have also driven a long way to shoot.

I'm a big fan of brakes. But I also double up on hearing protection by default.

@10thmountain had his hair parted by a brake on my 54R VEPR at CMP a couple of years ago.

Now I will say when my son shoots the AR pistol with a 3 baffle brake the fillings in my teeth rattle but I'm an old guy anyway. But it is really in your face LOUD.

Brakes work to reduce recoil. They tend to be obnoxious to those around you. But let's face it, if you go to a shooting range you need hearing protection.

Good luck with the new build and let us know how it turns out.

Since the barrel is threaded you can always get a can to muffle the sound. May take some time to get the tax stamp from uncle sugar but at least you won't be the most hated guy at the range...

I'm a big fan of brakes. But I also double up on hearing protection by default.

@10thmountain had his hair parted by a brake on my 54R VEPR at CMP a couple of years ago.

Now I will say when my son shoots the AR pistol with a 3 baffle brake the fillings in my teeth rattle but I'm an old guy anyway. But it is really in your face LOUD.

Brakes work to reduce recoil. They tend to be obnoxious to those around you. But let's face it, if you go to a shooting range you need hearing protection.

Good luck with the new build and let us know how it turns out.

Since the barrel is threaded you can always get a can to muffle the sound. May take some time to get the tax stamp from uncle sugar but at least you won't be the most hated guy at the range...

Very much appreciate the input. I always double up at the range - foam earplugs and muffs. I'm thinking that perhaps if I'm shooting prone, and other shooters are on benches - maybe the concussion part of it will be less of an issue vs. if I was shooting at the bench as well. At least, that's what I'm telling myself...

Having the break should help tighten groups due to less recoil. Most noticeable at long ranges. However not so good for by standers

I'm going to guess you are not going to be rattling rounds off like a newbie with an AR15 at the range. Instead you would be squeezing a round off after checking/adjusting after each shot. So I think you are good at the range with a break....everyone is required to have ear protection anyway.

Get an APA lil bastard or fat bastard. Best brakes on the market. Gen 2 and 3 are self timing and can easily remove and reinstall.

They are hell on adjoining shooters. I've shot plenty of matches with 25 folks lined up in a small space with these going off within 5 feet of you. They rock you to the core.

And they are muzzle brakes. Not breaks. Hopefully you won't be breaking anything.

Back
Top Bottom