• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gifted F150

As far as the bounce while driving i bought an f150 stepside in 2005 and some idiot took the dogbones off the leafsprings and bolted them straight to the chassis you might want to check that because it was a really rough and bouncy ride until i replaced them

Wow. I've got an older model Tahoe that needs shocks and maybe springs. Sometimes it feels like a boat ride if you catch uneven pavement just right. Probably changing them out next week.

I was told not to change the fluid in transmission because of it having 100k. So do you suggest I do a drain and fill and not a flush?
Also should I just swap out the springs and struts at the same time? You suggest any one?
Depends on the color of the fluid. I would change it regardless but some will say to leave it if its the original fluid. If its almost black, it will be the original stuff. If its red at all then its been flushed at some point. Do a drain. Drop the pan and change the filter. Pull the dust cover off the bell housing and rotate the torque converter until you find a 1/4” pipe plug. Pull that and you will have drained 99% of the fluid.

Pull the spark plugs to see if they need changed. Apply antiseize to the plugs and torque to 13 ft lbs. Change the rest of the fluids including the diff and brake fluid if you plan on keeping it long term.

I was told not to change the fluid in transmission because of it having 100k. So do you suggest I do a drain and fill and not a flush?
Also should I just swap out the springs and struts at the same time? You suggest any one?
It should only have shocks and not struts. If the fluid smells burnt
Depends on the color of the fluid. I would change it regardless but some will say to leave it if its the original fluid. If its almost black, it will be the original stuff. If its red at all then its been flushed at some point. Do a drain. Drop the pan and change the filter. Pull the dust cover off the bell housing and rotate the torque converter until you find a 1/4” pipe plug. Pull that and you will have drained 99% of the fluid.

Pull the spark plugs to see if they need changed. Apply antiseize to the plugs and torque to 13 ft lbs. Change the rest of the fluids including the diff and brake fluid if you plan on keeping it long term.
Also if the fluid smells burnt, change it too. Some on the older fluids will have that significant smell.

The 4.6 was one of fords best engines. I have a cousin that bought one new in 97 and still driving regular. He also around 300000 miles

Back
Top Bottom