• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting your knife razor sharp

In my case, I already had the 1 X 42 belt sander so it's just an angle problem now that can be ameliorated with practice. I would, however, very much like to have the WorkSharp system - so I don't have to worry about angle....just need to get a cheaper price...
if you find a cheaper price let me know b/c that my issue right now....

I've had very good luck using a leather strop that is loaded with a stropping compound after I sharpen on my stone. I use bark river black and white compounds but there are many different types available that work great. I think that would be a good place to start and it is a very good way to refine your edge past what the stones will give you if you are looking for that next level sharp. That said, this applies if you are sharping them properly on the stones to begin with. I think you might just need that little bit of refining that stropping offers. Youtube is also a great resource to look into for sharpening on wet stones and for stropping. Good luck!

Reactions: MRH
I've had very good luck using a leather strop that is loaded with a stropping compound after I sharpen on my stone. I use bark river black and white compounds but there are many different types available that work great. I think that would be a good place to start and it is a very good way to refine your edge past what the stones will give you if you are looking for that next level sharp. That said, this applies if you are sharping them properly on the stones to begin with. I think you might just need that little bit of refining that stropping offers. Youtube is also a great resource to look into for sharpening on wet stones and for stropping. Good luck!

Completely agree about strops. I've spent my lifetime sharpening blades, and 9 times out of 10, or more, literally, I can return a blade to better than before with nothing more than a strop... Stones are the last resort for me, and I only use them when it is absolutely necessary. Why remove more material than necessary, for something that requires nothing more than a touching up? Makes no sense.

I also agree about compounds. Find one that works and go with it. It's good enough.

Until a few years ago, I sharpened knives with whetstones/diamond stones and could put a good edge on them. I have since invested in a Ken Onion Worksharp. I can get my knives as sharp as I wish now in a fraction of the time. And I’m talking scary sharp. I hate dull knives. I use it for everything. Best investment I’ve made when it comes to knives.

Just ordered one, can’t wait to have some sharp knives again!

Back
Top Bottom