• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting started in duck hunting

Hardest part is finding a place to hunt then. Get you a duck call and you are good to go. I was lucky in my youth at 18 I got to hunt with the Chairman of the board of the Alabama waterfowl association. That guy could call em in when you could barely see them in the distance.
I’m gonna see if I can’t find me a spot. I’m pretty sure I’d be hooked if I went.

You think getting info out of fisherman and deer hunters is hard, Ha!, successful duck hunters are tight lipped! Finding a spot to hunt is a huge battle in GA for sure. Some basic info though:

If possible, put the sun at your back. Doesn’t blind you and helps to obscure the ducks vision. Ducks’ vision is VERY good, don’t move when they are close until time to shoot.

Put the wind at your back, too. Ducks like to light into the wind to slow them down usually.

Find the “X”. Doesn’t matter how good you call, nothing beats being where the ducks want to go.

Learn to identify ducks, the noises they make, and what they look like in flight….. bag limits are mixed and species specific.

Stay safe! Seriously, cold and wet can make for danger in a hurry. Plus, when ducks come in it is a flurry of activity. Make sure you and anyone you’re with is safe with the shotgun and doesn’t get caught up in the action. Sounds simple, but it happens. 6 Wood ducks dipping and darting at 50 MPH in your face at 20 yds can make people act funny!

Best advice given is DON’T DO IT! It seems it is all in or nothing with duck hunting, but if you get hooked…. It’s over. Rather hunt ducks than bucks any day now! It’s a sickness! Good luck!

You think getting info out of fisherman and deer hunters is hard, Ha!, successful duck hunters are tight lipped! Finding a spot to hunt is a huge battle in GA for sure. Some basic info though:

If possible, put the sun at your back. Doesn’t blind you and helps to obscure the ducks vision. Ducks’ vision is VERY good, don’t move when they are close until time to shoot.

Put the wind at your back, too. Ducks like to light into the wind to slow them down usually.

Find the “X”. Doesn’t matter how good you call, nothing beats being where the ducks want to go.

Learn to identify ducks, the noises they make, and what they look like in flight….. bag limits are mixed and species specific.

Stay safe! Seriously, cold and wet can make for danger in a hurry. Plus, when ducks come in it is a flurry of activity. Make sure you and anyone you’re with is safe with the shotgun and doesn’t get caught up in the action. Sounds simple, but it happens. 6 Wood ducks dipping and darting at 50 MPH in your face at 20 yds can make people act funny!

Best advice given is DON’T DO IT! It seems it is all in or nothing with duck hunting, but if you get hooked…. It’s over. Rather hunt ducks than bucks any day now! It’s a sickness! Good luck!
Man you have no idea how much this is gonna help! I think part of why I’ve had trouble getting information is because people are so tight lipped. I’ve been doing some research too. I think the hardest part now is just gonna be finding somewhere. Thanks for all the advice!

I think I got a bag of old decoys I'll give you. Not sure where you are. We use to hunt them and had a damn good time but it got harder and harder to find places so we said hell with it.

I think I got a bag of old decoys I'll give you. Not sure where you are. We use to hunt them and had a damn good time but it got harder and harder to find places so we said hell with it.
I’m in jasper so not to close I don’t think. I’m kinda running in to problems with finding places too. It seems like that’s the hard part

I’m in jasper so not to close I don’t think. I’m kinda running in to problems with finding places too. It seems like that’s the hard part
Yes sir it is. It's the most fun you'll ever have without naked chick's involved but finding a place is the problem. Good luck my friend

Attachments

• PXL_20211117_020857522.jpg
    PXL_20211117_020857522.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom