• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting started in duck hunting

I killed my first duck with a Ithaca model 37 I paid 67 dollars for in the 80s and a set of 20 dollar waders I got at walmart. Duck hunting really ain't that hard to do. Just focus on the basics first then add on what you feel you need.

I don't hunt much in Georgia any more but I used to. I have hunted Lake Allatoona and Pine Log WMA. Either can be productive with the right scouting and set up. I prefer hunting private ponds as they seem to be much more productive for me.

I think ducks that fly through Georgia are like the turkey, they have a calendar. It seems like all the ducks show up around February 1st in Georgia.

If you would like to give it a try, go to Wiley Creek in Waleska. Its not cheap but it will get you hooked.

I killed my first duck with a Ithaca model 37 I paid 67 dollars for in the 80s and a set of 20 dollar waders I got at walmart. Duck hunting really ain't that hard to do. Just focus on the basics first then add on what you feel you need.
I got me a pair of waders and a shotgun. I also already have a 14ft Jon boat with a mud motor so I’m pretty set with that. Just don’t really now how to start.

I don't hunt much in Georgia any more but I used to. I have hunted Lake Allatoona and Pine Log WMA. Either can be productive with the right scouting and set up. I prefer hunting private ponds as they seem to be much more productive for me.

I think ducks that fly through Georgia are like the turkey, they have a calendar. It seems like all the ducks show up around February 1st in Georgia.

If you would like to give it a try, go to Wiley Creek in Waleska. Its not cheap but it will get you hooked.
Wiley creek is real close to me. I might have to try that. With me having the little Jon boat I was thinking about trying alatoona. Pine log would be close to the house too.

Did you hunt the lake on pine log?

I got me a pair of waders and a shotgun. I also already have a 14ft Jon boat with a mud motor so I’m pretty set with that. Just don’t really now how to start.
Hardest part is finding a place to hunt then. Get you a duck call and you are good to go. I was lucky in my youth at 18 I got to hunt with the Chairman of the board of the Alabama waterfowl association. That guy could call em in when you could barely see them in the distance.

Back
Top Bottom