• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting into reloading

Buy the Hornady and Nosler reloading books. Certainly, don't stop there, buy other reloading books as desired. Years ago, as a first time reloader, I found the Hornady and Nosler books helped me understand the "science", as well as the history of reloading. I found the first chapters to be quite interesting.

As a first time reloader, I bought a Hornady progressive press, used the rebates to get free bullets, etc... I found it to be a good press for reloading common pistol rounds. I've resorted to hand loading my choice hunting rifle rounds and precision long distance rounds and just using the progressive to seat the bullet. Personally, I found the Hornady progressive press to be hit or miss and difficult to use consistently when reloading .223/5.56 regardless of whether it is new brass, once or twice fired brass or any particular brand name. It just doesn't seem to like the .223/5.56.

Just my 2 cents...

If you are interested in a RCBS Supreme kit, I have one. Send me a PM if you want more details.
Primers are a little hard to find at a decent price. However, the prices have gone up since Covid hit and probably won't come back down anytime soon.

I went down this slippery slope back in February, spent a bunch of money, bought the Hornady LnL package, and a bunch of stuff I haven't needed yet. I have had success in 6.5 CM, 308 Win, and 300 BO, but it wasn't without the required quantity of stupid mistakes. As stated above, YouTube is still a friend as is ODT. I bought most of my initial powder and primers from ODT members, but the real value was in the 30-45 minute discussion, real expertise here.

Manuals are critical, I have the Lyman, Hornady, Berger and Hogdon, there are literally 10-20 good load formulas for every bullet, you just need to figure out what your rifle or hand gun wants. It was overwhelming for me, until I just decided to start at a point for each of my calibers and then learn as you go.

Ask stupid questions, buy manuals and read the info upfront before you look at load data, buy quality components to start and dont start with a progressive - AND buy a bullet puller :-)

Glad to answer any questions if I can help

I went down this slippery slope back in February, spent a bunch of money, bought the Hornady LnL package, and a bunch of stuff I haven't needed yet. I have had success in 6.5 CM, 308 Win, and 300 BO, but it wasn't without the required quantity of stupid mistakes. As stated above, YouTube is still a friend as is ODT. I bought most of my initial powder and primers from ODT members, but the real value was in the 30-45 minute discussion, real expertise here.

Manuals are critical, I have the Lyman, Hornady, Berger and Hogdon, there are literally 10-20 good load formulas for every bullet, you just need to figure out what your rifle or hand gun wants. It was overwhelming for me, until I just decided to start at a point for each of my calibers and then learn as you go.

Ask stupid questions, buy manuals and read the info upfront before you look at load data, buy quality components to start and dont start with a progressive - AND buy a bullet puller :-)

Glad to answer any questions if I can help
+1 on the bullet puller!

I've been loading @35 yrs. Always used RCBS equipment. Had very few problems, and when I did they made up for it. I like Winchester components for the most part. The Winchester 748 powder would be a good choice for both 308 and 223. If your loading for precision in a AR, Varget would be a good choice. Right now is a tough time to start reloading due to shortages.

I've been loading @35 yrs. Always used RCBS equipment. Had very few problems, and when I did they made up for it. I like Winchester components for the most part. The Winchester 748 powder would be a good choice for both 308 and 223. If your loading for precision in a AR, Varget would be a good choice. Right now is a tough time to start reloading due to shortages.
Many thanks for the heads-up.

Back
Top Bottom