• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting Into Archery

CSA

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
424   0
Reaction score
I'm looking on getting into Archery and bow hunting. Been firing my daughters recurve and found I’m not terrible and enjoy it. My main question is if I buy a good used Bowtech 360 RPM with a good setup is 50# draw enough for good hunting results given I have enough skill to hit my target? Don’t want to be underpowered when I need it, thanks.

You can kill at 50 pounds personally though I wouldn't want to hunt with just 50 pound pull. The kinetic energy is what kills. My recommendation is shoot something with about atleast 60-65 pound pull so that you can get a little more speed. Greater speed with heavier arrow will be devastating on deer.

Also keep in mind a compound hunting bow will shoot different than a recurve bow.

Reactions: CSA
You can kill at 50 pounds personally though I wouldn't want to hunt with just 50 pound pull. The kinetic energy is what kills. My recommendation is shoot something with about atleast 60-65 pound pull so that you can get a little more speed. Greater speed with heavier arrow will be devastating on deer.

Also keep in mind a company hunting bow will shoot different than a recurve bow.
That’s what I’m thinking. I’m wanting a compound for target/hunting that is very quiet. All the brands and setups, my head is swimming with all the options.

That’s what I’m thinking. I’m wanting a compound for target/hunting that is very quiet. All the brands and setups, my head is swimming with all the options.
There is a great deal on a couple bows in the outdoors gear section. One of them I've contemplated buying even though I've put a few hundred dollars in my bow over the last couple years.
https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-2020-blackout-epic-300-ready-to-hunt.2268610/

I've thought about buying that one myself. Its a fast bow and great reviews. I will say single cam bows are more user friendly as far as working on them yourself than double cam bows.

Consider getting measured for draw length, figuring out what type of sight you'll prefer, arrow rest, and release. Personally I prefer a single pin sight, drop away arrow rest and thumb release.

There is a great deal on a couple bows in the outdoors gear section. One of them I've contemplated buying even though I've put a few hundred dollars in my bow over the last couple years.
https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-2020-blackout-epic-300-ready-to-hunt.2268610/

I've thought about buying that one myself. Its a fast bow and great reviews. I will say single cam bows are more user friendly as far as working on them yourself than double cam bows.

thanks man that is a nice bow for a good price.

50 pounds is plenty. I put an arrow out of a 50 pounder completely through a deer longways once, and it still impacted the ground with force.

Get good with your bow first, you can always move to a heavier bow later if you feel the need.

I think my brother's compound bow is set to 55 lbs, and when I shoot it side by side with another friend's 80-lb compound bow that's just a few years older, there's a WORLD of difference in how deep the arrows penetrate in the foam target block, and how much drop there is at 25 yards. The 80-lb bow with modern carbon-fiber arrows and 125 grain field point heads has no visible drop or arc. Straight as a bowstring right into the target. The 55-lb bow, and my own 40-lb bow, have visible drop / arc.

I think my brother's compound bow is set to 55 lbs, and when I shoot it side by side with another friend's 80-lb compound bow that's just a few years older, there's a WORLD of difference in how deep the arrows penetrate in the foam target block, and how much drop there is at 25 yards. The 80-lb bow with modern carbon-fiber arrows and 125 grain field point heads has no visible drop or arc. Straight as a bowstring right into the target. The 55-lb bow, and my own 40-lb bow, have visible drop / arc.
this. You can shoot slow light pull and sacrifice kinetic energy and distance or heavy pull but faster have better stopping power and range. Its like the argument of carrying a 22 mag pistol or a 9mm both will kill but one is better at it than the other.

Practice Practice Practice and from elevated platform. If it can go wrong it will. Actually getting the right shot is very different than with a firearm. Never take marginal shots and you do good. Is very rewarding. I would want one at least in the 300 fps range. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom