• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Generator Thread ....When the power goes out...

A faraday cage would be needed but not sufficient for a generator that was wired to automatically come on and power the house at the loss of utility power. A person would be smart to consider an induced power spike riding in on the incoming power and control lines. Some kind of surge protectors would be in order.

The fact is that nearby lightning strikes can induce high voltage spikes enough to take out semiconductor P/N type junctions in electronics in your home wiring no matter where you have a surge protector, unless your whole house is encased in a 'faraday cage' AND your have an incoming feed surge protector that is rated for quick transient HIGH voltage spikes.

As far as surges coming in via power lines. I have heard good things about this surge protector. It is made to connect to incoming power panel. Screen shot from Home Depot.

upload_2021-6-19_8-42-46.png

Costco has this one going on sale for $699 in store, in about a week or so.

https://www.costco.com/firman-7500w-running--9400w-peak-tri-fuel-generator.product.100648883.html

I picked one up yesterday. My preferred fuel for it will be natural gas. It will take a while to get the natural gas line ran to where I want to connect it to the generator. I have lost electrical power many times, but I have never lost natural gas. I am sure this will be used sooner or later during a localized power loss.

For a wide area grid down event, I am hoping that the natural gas supply lasts at least a few days just based on the miles and miles of lines under existing pressure. Maybe it will last long enough to allow powering the refrigerator so the food can be eaten before it spoils.

upload_2021-6-26_9-3-38.png

I picked one up yesterday. My preferred fuel for it will be natural gas. It will take a while to get the natural gas line ran to where I want to connect it to the generator. I have lost electrical power many times, but I have never lost natural gas. I am sure this will be used sooner or later during a localized power loss.

For a wide area grid down event, I am hoping that the natural gas supply lasts at least a few days just based on the miles and miles of lines under existing pressure. Maybe it will last long enough to allow powering the refrigerator so the food can be eaten before it spoils.

View attachment 3327526
I waited until the last minute, & picked one up in store today. Thing is heavy! Planning on running off of LP cylinders, but I like the idea of plumbing it in for NG too.

Today is the last day of the sale, which I think they only run once a year. Stores have closed, but still available online for $799 delivered, for any other procrastinators like myself.

https://www.costco.com/firman-7500w-running--9400w-peak-tri-fuel-generator.product.100648883.html
2330D9B2-D8BE-49CF-B224-BC39ADE1CAEB.jpeg

I waited until the last minute, & picked one up in store today. Thing is heavy! Planning on running off of LP cylinders, but I like the idea of plumbing it in for NG too.

Today is the last day of the sale, which I think they only run once a year. Stores have closed, but still available online for $799 delivered, for any other procrastinators like myself.

View attachment 3373210

I had a natural gas line with quick disconnect installed 2 days ago.

Afterwards, I connected it to the NG hookup and ran it for the first time.

It ran fine.

Starting it was a little harder than I had hoped-for. Maybe the new section of about 40 feet of pipe still has some air in it. Hopefully that was it.

I am psyched about not having to deal with gasoline and it getting old.

Back
Top Bottom