• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Generator Thread ....When the power goes out...

Gas doesn't store long is the problem, diesel stores much longer of course. I ditched my gas generators and got a propane generator-problem solved, and i'm never going to have to deal with gummed up carburetor or fuel again

9 years, I had the same gas with stabil in my generator for 9 years and it wasn't a problem.
I'd start it twice a year and it would crank right up.
I'd always turn the fuel petcock off, so it would run out of fuel and empty the carb.

On that 9th year I emptied the tank and used it that summer in the mower.
I've done that 9 years twice now.

I'm on year 3 on this next tank of gas.
I have had no problem keeping gas long term as long as it has that Stabil stuff in it.
Just FYI

I have no experience with generators but would like to pick up one soon. I'm thinking dual fuel and I would run it off of LP. My house is total electric but it's easier for me to store LP tanks than gasoline. Also, my house is 1900 sq ft and I would love to be able to run the whole house, but I need to be able to at least run the fridge, deep freezer, lights, water heater, a TV, garage door, portable heater/fan). I'm looking at the following generators, would either of these be sufficient for my wants or overkill or underpowered?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DUROMAX...V-Ready-50-State-Approved-XP12000EH/300659728

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ford-11...or-457-cc-CARB-Compliant-FG11050PBE/302907262

Also, I see some people have generators hooked up to a fuse panel/breaker box. Is it needed to run HVAC or some other reason? Also if you guys have any advice on generators or have a link where I can read up more on generators, id appreciate it.

I have the Ford generator. I run my whole house (2300 sq ft). My furnace is gas but the rest of the house is electric. The only thing I can’t do is run my water heater, over, or dryer with any of the other two running. Besides that it runs everything else.

If you have a heat pump I would imagine it would be similar in wattage as a dryer, water heater, or electric oven.

Hooked into the main panel with an interlock.

Awesome! so you're liking the Ford?

I just watched a YT vid about the interlock kit. Just so I'm clear, am I right that a manual transfer switch limits you to a certain number of breakers, but an Interlock kit gives you the option to use all or choose which specific breakers you want?

Correct. Happy with the Ford. I would rather have the slightly larger model but the price difference vs wattage just didn’t seem to make sense to me.

am i crazy, but wasn't there a post by someone that game an amazing break down on how he backs up his internet etc with back up batteries and links to them. i swear i bookmarked his post to come back and visit it. that was a awesome post. he had like 5 links on amazon etc.

I have no experience with generators but would like to pick up one soon. I'm thinking dual fuel and I would run it off of LP. My house is total electric but it's easier for me to store LP tanks than gasoline. Also, my house is 1900 sq ft and I would love to be able to run the whole house, but I need to be able to at least run the fridge, deep freezer, lights, water heater, a TV, garage door, portable heater/fan). I'm looking at the following generators, would either of these be sufficient for my wants or overkill or underpowered?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DUROMAX...V-Ready-50-State-Approved-XP12000EH/300659728

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ford-11...or-457-cc-CARB-Compliant-FG11050PBE/302907262

Also, I see some people have generators hooked up to a fuse panel/breaker box. Is it needed to run HVAC or some other reason? Also if you guys have any advice on generators or have a link where I can read up more on generators, id appreciate it.

TV, lights, refrig, etc are usaually no problem because they are small electrical loads. Electrical heating elements are a different story. Pro Tip #1 - Change all of your lights to LED style.

Some people back feed their electrical panel via a 240 VAC dedicated outlet and ckt located in the garage or close to where the Gen will be located when running. THE BIG DANGER IS TO NOT BACK FEED THE PANEL UNTIL THE UTILITY POWER IS REMOVED WITH AN OPEN SWITCH OR OPEN MAIN BREAKER. People back feed the panel because they are already wired to the devices they want to power.

Check this web site:

Generac Power Systems - Natural Gas, Propane, and Diesel Home Generators for Sale

Finally came back in stock so I ordered it and it arrived today. 7kw/8.75kw peak open frame inverter so I don’t have to worry about all my electronics. Put the handle and wheel kit on it and installed the propane/natural gas conversion on it when it arrived.

3869D805-CCB7-43A1-9BC1-2DF1A5CC3AE2.jpeg
9FAAF3EC-1C20-4A61-8BDC-47CE94C58212.jpeg

We have a 12kw Generac at my folks that runs the entire cabin minus the heat pump and stove which is propane and it has been a life saver. I have no idea how long we will be here before our forever house so I didn’t want to drop the coin on a standby, so this is the next best thing. Whole house is gas, so this should handle everything. If power goes out in the summer and I need to run the AC which is 2.5 ton it is capable, but I imagine ceiling fans will suffice.

After looking over this thread, I believe I have found the generator I may go with. I had my eye set on a smaller Ryobi inverter generator for the past few months but have decided I needed to go larger and wanted duel fuel. I plan to run our AC/ Fridge, deep freeze, all the internet related items and a box fan off of this one. I do not plan to run all of that at one time as I would swap the freezers on and off every few hours.
This will be my first generator purchase am I am looking forward to having it!
https://www.homedepot.com/p/CHAMPIO...or-with-CO-Shield-Technology-100592/308173035

After looking over this thread, I believe I have found the generator I may go with. I had my eye set on a smaller Ryobi inverter generator for the past few months but have decided I needed to go larger and wanted duel fuel. I plan to run our AC/ Fridge, deep freeze, all the internet related items and a box fan off of this one. I do not plan to run all of that at one time as I would swap the freezers on and off every few hours.
This will be my first generator purchase am I am looking forward to having it!
https://www.homedepot.com/p/CHAMPIO...or-with-CO-Shield-Technology-100592/308173035
Champions are good machines, this should handle all that and more!

Back
Top Bottom