• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GEN 5 G19 MOS sight and RDS choice and setup?

Ghost-1

Army Icon Supporter
Frontiersman
104   0
Reaction score
If I am sounding dumb and stupid just tell me as I am not even sure if I am asking this the right way but it sounds like I am as I am typing it. So here it goes I have been doing a lot of reading on here and other forums when it comes to the RDS and Glock's and I keep getting different answers which leads to more questions or I just might be reading into it to much. I figure you guy's would Know more as a lot of ya'll have been shooting RDS guns for a few years now and I'm just getting into the RDS thing due to my eye's getting older and wanting to be able to keep doing what I am doing. Which RDS would ya'll recommend to make a good compatible setup with the RDS and sights that fits and runs with the RMR foot print?

I know that the GEN 5 guns have totally different sights on them due to how they are made and shoot. I know with the GEN 5 guns you shoot the dot's combat hold and on the GEN 1 thru 4's you mostly shoot center hold or 6 o'clock hold. I am trying to figure out which set would get you closer to the regular height that the GEN 5 comes with but still be able and usable with the RDS so I guess that would mean being in the 1/3 co witness instead of the full co witness setup maybe?

I guess what I am asking is which sights would be better to run on a RDS pistol with out being to busy and which night sight setup would be better if going with those? I know there are the Ameriglo 429's which are just steel blacked out sights. Then you have the Ameriglo suppressor sights with either the front night sight and blacked out rear or you can get a complete set of suppressor night sights. You also have sights from Dawson all black, fiber optic front blacked out rear and night sight front and rear and then there's the Trijicon suppressor night sights that you can get with either the white ring front and rear or white ring front and blacked out rear or blacked out front and rear night sights.

I actually read your whole post and think I get what you are asking.

just get your glock, get an RMR type 2, look at the plates from CH precision or direct slide mount it from them.

The rmr your main sighting mechanism. They guys saying to line up your irons to find the dot are not shooting under time constraints.that works only if you are just taking all the time you want.

the back up irons can just be simple black irons, maybe a fiber front.

Just look at the STI pistols as a reference point.

I like the green fiber front and black rear my sti has. Generally I never even look at them at all. They Just need to be there in case rmr goes down.

i dont think you want tritium night sights on a red dot gun. Night sights really only work if a few lighting conditions over traditional irons, the red dot already solves this lighting condition problem.

I have not done a night vision class yet with the red dot, but I think it is good to go with just the dot

also the irons probably need to be suppressor height in order to be visible depending on how high or low your red dot is mounted

Aaron Cowen of Sage Dynamics is my "go to guy" for info on sights and lights. If they make it, he's got a review or or offers training on it (or he's in the process of making a video about it) check out Sage Dynamics on you tube and search for the sight you have questions about or the style sighting you wish to do (such as co-witness, etc).

I actually read your whole post and think I get what you are asking.

just get your glock, get an RMR type 2, look at the plates from CH precision or direct slide mount it from them. I have tried the RMR and fin the window small compared to others so that's one reason I have been looking at the Swamp Fox RDS's due to having two GEN 5 19 MOS guns and a G48 MOS and wanting to slap RDS's on all three and I have been seeing good reviews on the them. I have been looking at the plate from CH but also looking at the one from Forward Control as well.

The rmr your main sighting mechanism. They guys saying to line up your irons to find the dot are not shooting under time constraints.that works only if you are just taking all the time you want. I understand the RMR as the main sighting system after using both Aimpoint and EoTech's while in he Army. I also know that your red dot is not always going top line up with the front sight or lolly pop the front sight like so many think it should. I know when using any RDS you zero it separately from the irons and yes you would only use the irons when the RDS go down.

the back up irons can just be simple black irons, maybe a fiber front. I got that and I have ran fiber front's and tritium front and plain black rears before but I just didn't care for the fiber optic sight.

Just look at the STI pistols as a reference point. I'll check them out and see what they are showing.

I like the green fiber front and black rear my sti has. Generally I never even look at them at all. They Just need to be there in case rmr goes down. I got that and I know the sights are there incase the RDS goes down and it would be nice if they had a quick release mount so you could just pop it off and go strait the irons instead of having to run suppressor height sights. I can get by with a tritium front and black rear I would like something that can help me find the gun in the dark as I know once the light comes on the tritium is useless and all sights go to black.

i dont think you want tritium night sights on a red dot gun. Night sights really only work if a few lighting conditions over traditional irons, the red dot already solves this lighting condition problem. I got what you are saying and I do agree to a point like I was saying earlier I can get by with just tritium front to help me find the gun and grab it when it's pitch black, I do have night lights through out the house but if the power goes out then they are useless.

I have not done a night vision class yet with the red dot, but I think it is good to go with just the dot. Yeah that would be cool to do if I could afford some NV I would like to do it myself.

also the irons probably need to be suppressor height in order to be visible depending on how high or low your red dot is mounted. Thats what I am looking for but back to one of my main quiestions is which ones would let me get back towards the EOM setup of sitting low enough to be usefull and not in the way of the RDS but also let me use the combat sight/shoot the dot's or if I have to go with the center hold.

Aaron Cowen of Sage Dynamics is my "go to guy" for info on sights and lights. If they make it, he's got a review or or offers training on it (or he's in the process of making a video about it) check out Sage Dynamics on you tube and search for the sight you have questions about or the style sighting you wish to do (such as co-witness, etc).

Ok thanks I'll check them out and see.

Reason i say Rmr is due to durability. It is the best of the bunch and probably only adequate. My experience with type 1 rmr sucked.

i dont think the window size matters.

sure i would prefer an eotech window and maybe even reticle, but after bad experience where it would not last until lunch time before the battery die, I prize stuff that works and is low maintenance

Reason i say Rmr is due to durability. It is the best of the bunch and probably only adequate. My experience with type 1 rmr sucked.

i dont think the window size matters.

sure i would prefer an eotech window and maybe even reticle, but after bad experience where it would not last until lunch time before the battery die, I prize stuff that works and is low maintenance

Yeah I did read up on the type 1 RMR's and they were bad and had lots of issues. I am looking at some of the others as they do have a little bit bigger window compared to the RMR's in general except for the Trijicon SRO but it is a little to big in my opinion for a CCW gun.

I am looking at the SwampFox Justice and the Liberty RDS's along with some of the other ones from SIG and Holosun and some of the other ones out there. I am reading reviews and watching videos and stuff and trying to get hands on at some of the places I can to get a feel for them when I can.

For what it’s worth... I have a gen4 19 mos. I’m running a holosun 507c and meprolight buis. They are tritium night sights as well. As others have stated I don’t notice the buis unless the optics is off. I like the holosun for the shake to wake technology and I like having the meprolight tritium in case your red dot goes down at night. I also like the holosun able to switch to an eotech style reticle. I find it easier as opposed to just a single dot. My two cents worth.

Hi. all good advice so far. Here is my 2 cents.
Stick with rmr or holosun. Since this is your first dot, I suggest the holosun with acss reticle. It has a feature that can be your training wheels at the beginning. If you already own the glock mos, look at aftermarket plates, chp and forwardcontroldesigns. If not, buy a regular glock and send to jagerwerks to have it milled.
As for backup irons, go small. I really don't like suppressor sights. The ameriglo 429's are as tall as id go.
Good luck

Thanks guy's and yes I already have the GEN 5 G19 MOS gun's as you know the old saying "one is none two is one" I have always been a firm believer in this myself. I am doing my research on these and that's why I am asking all these questions and I have always shot my pistols with irons and called it good but with the eye's getting older I need to step it up and get into some RDS's.

I am leaning towards just going with the Ameriglo 429's but I am also leaning towards getting something with at least a front tritium sights and blacked out rear or a white ring tritium front and blacked out tritium rear and that's just to help me find the gun in the dark. I know once you turn the light on that's attached to the gun then the sights are going to be black anyways. I am also looking at the possibility of something happening and the battery dies or the RDS's stops working for some other reason.

As far as which RDS I am looking at the Type 2 RMR's, Holosun, SwampFox and some others. I'm doing research and looking for feedback from users of each one to see what the pro's and con's of each are. I am also going to be going with the FCD plate and i know they are cut for the RMR foot print but chatting with the someone that is in the company and they were saying to get the Type 2 RMR as the other sights were not guaranteed to work with their plate. That right there has now got me looking for folks that have other RDS's to see who is running them with the FCD plate so it would give me a better idea if they would fit and work with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom