• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gear suggestions

Patronus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
152   0
Reaction score
Any suggestions for a good, reasonably priced:

Fishing rig, something like a pocket fisherman kinda thing.

Small wound kit(suture needle, scalpel, forceps, scissors, etc. Just for an amateur to fix up a small injury on the fly)

2 person ultra-light tent. Looked at mylar emergency tent but think something a little more re-usable. Still not much heavier or physically larger.

Other suggestions?

Last edited:
I use a collapsable rod with a spinning reel Like this one,but mine has a hard plastic case:
http://www.gofastandlight.com/Ultra...th-Spinning-Reel-COMBO/productinfo/FI-PCOMSTF

Built my med bag from here:
rescue-essentials.com

no help for a tent, I have plastic and paracord for that

Rod/reel combo is PERFECT! Thanks!

I saw your Med kit thread DOC ;) I'll go look at that sight but I want to stay much more basic than you. Most my sewing has been the odd button and once or twice a seam.

I have a 1000' roll of para cord I'm considering how much and how best to include in my GHBs. Maybe combined with the ponchos I may call it a "tent" but I think I'll at least include the mylars for emergencies.

Rod/reel combo is PERFECT! Thanks!

I saw your Med kit thread DOC ;) I'll go look at that sight but I want to stay much more basic than you. Most my sewing has been the odd button and once or twice a seam.

I have a 1000' roll of para cord I'm considering how much and how best to include in my GHBs. Maybe combined with the ponchos I may call it a "tent" but I think I'll at least include the mylars for emergencies.

If your GHB has straps, You could braid them with cord or replace them with braided cord.

In my ghb's I use a combination of 2 grommeted space blankets & plastic which allows me versatility.
I field test all of my gear, my ghb weighs around 35 lbs. w/ water & ammo handicap but it has over 400 items in it broken down by category i.e. 1st aid, navigat./ comm., food/ water & water pur./ filter, util./repair, protection, toiletries, fire/ light etc., etc.
The grommeted space blankets can also easily be used for heat reflectors in very cold &/ or windy conditions.
They are much more versatile & quieter than the plain old easily torn mylar ones. In my experience most people who have them in kits have never tried them out in real world conditions and they find the " theory" falls quite short of the reality.
I spent one night in the field wrapped in one & promptly replaced all of them in every kit except for the real small pocket kits.

Ordered 2 GI Alice packs with frames so I think I can para cord wrap the frames for carry the cord.

Looking at the grometted space blankets to replace the cheap mylar ones I have. Thanks Protective for the suggestion. Also looking at navigation(thinking GA map and compass). Don't know what to think about comms that will work post SHTF. Forgot "toiletries" also. Actually wasn't thinking that way, thinking just about 2-3 days getting home at most. Need to expand thinking without increasing weight.

Several good items have multiple uses. For example, bandannas. They have dozens of uses.... improvised bandage, sunshade or toboggan for your head, water collectors by absorbing & squeezing, binder for a splint, pre-filter for a water filter, improvised "basket" to place berries, nuts, or other small items in to carry, "oven-mitt" to handle hot metal parts, facemask to filter from bad particulate in the air as in what happened on 9/11., sweatband, etc., etc., .... and the obvious use.
I never carry less than two at anytime.
There are many items that have multiple uses but when you're the one packing the weight you have to decide what works for you for certain.

my "toiletries" consist of a small zip lock bag with about 10-15 baby wipes folded up in the bag.

Same here plus a travel size toothbrush & paste and/or a small bottle of "sample" sized liquid soap sometimes depending on trip duration.

I used to take a couple baby wipes & warm them by the fire to use after a tough hike... amazing what a difference psychologically it makes.

Back
Top Bottom