• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Garand FTF Part II - Help!

Vincent Vega

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
436   0
Reaction score
Hello All, I posted this back in June and have since swapped out parts as suggested.

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/garand-ftf-help.2230524/

Nothing seems to work but what I wish I had realized earlier is that the intermittent failure to feed is clearly being caused by the cartridge rubbing against the rib on the left side of the receiver (pics below). I should mention this is a barreled receiver from the CMP.

The obviously solution is to hone and polish the receiver rib. Is there something I'm not thinking about as far as a solution?

Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

IMG_20210312_144412260.jpg

IMG_20210312_144403837.jpg

IMG_20210312_145600492.jpg

IMG_20210312_145529204.jpg

IMG_20210312_145516681.jpg

Notice the rub marks on the spent cartridge cases
IMG_20210312_145022914.jpg

Check follower arm, follower rod, and slide/follower. Preferably replace with parts from a known working rifle and test. Also, is the receiver an early serial number? If so, look up, "7th round failure to feed."

Also, are you reusing clips? Any particular one causing the failure?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Check follower arm, follower rod, and slide/follower. Preferably replace with parts from a known working rifle and test. Also, is the receiver an early serial number? If so, look up, "7th round failure to feed."

Also, are you reusing clips? Any particular one causing the failure?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Done all of that and replaced with op rod spring with a brand new Orion spring. I've had the same result with various clips / ammo (HXP and LC). Receiver is Mid War.

Would a timing issue caused by an out of spec part create the contact between the rounds stacked on the left side of the clip and the receiver rib? I'm far from being an expert but that just seems odd.

Springfield Armory spent a lot of resources fixing the 7th round failure. It is not the same as the problem you are having, but it is in that area.

Your rib is damaged and needs to be built back up, not polished down. Removing metal will make it worse.

Research "7th round failure in Garand"

Back
Top Bottom