• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fun Drill

Pinning the trigger to reset is something most people are taught, but professional shooters and various military ops teams are taught to get off the trigger asap. Getting back on it while simultaneously taking up any slack during the recoil makes for faster shots.

The different technique won’t necessarily make for faster shots. That depends upon the shooter. If I keep constant contact with the trigger, only let it out enough to reset, instantly start to press the trigger again, and I do all of this DURING recoil, and BEFORE my sights are back on target, how is coming off the trigger any faster?

As long as you’re back on the trigger with any slack out BEFORE you’re back on target, both techniques of trigger control are equally fast. What I’ve found with shooters that aren’t especially skilled is that coming all the way off the trigger between shots increases their likelihood of “slapping” the trigger. Additionally, if there are two students, one riding the trigger and the other coming off it, and they both “slap” the trigger, the one who’s finger has to travel further will have a “worse slap” and cause the shot to be worse than the other.

I know very good shooters that use both methods of trigger reset.

The different technique won’t necessarily make for faster shots. That depends upon the shooter. If I keep constant contact with the trigger, only let it out enough to reset, instantly start to press the trigger again, and I do all of this DURING recoil, and BEFORE my sights are back on target, how is coming off the trigger any faster?

As long as you’re back on the trigger with any slack out BEFORE you’re back on target, both techniques of trigger control are equally fast. What I’ve found with shooters that aren’t especially skilled is that coming all the way off the trigger between shots increases their likelihood of “slapping” the trigger. Additionally, if there are two students, one riding the trigger and the other coming off it, and they both “slap” the trigger, the one who’s finger has to travel further will have a “worse slap” and cause the shot to be worse than the other.

I know very good shooters that use both methods of trigger reset.

not slapping the trigger per say. I just mean letting the trigger reset and taking up the slack during the recoil and getting back on target. It shortens the time because the shooter doesn’t have to settle and then start their trigger squeeze. The simplest way to illustrate it is by practicing double taps, then slow it down and get a 2nd sight picture before the 2nd shot.

I think we’re saying the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom