ODT Junkie!
397   0
Reaction score
Item Name: FS S&W 38 3rd model top break

Item is for: Sale Only
Sale Price: $200-400

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: This is another firearm I am try to sell for a friend who lost her husband.
It is a S&W 38 top break 3rd model made between 1884-1895. From the serial number it should date 1889-91.
Once again I am not familiar enough with this model and it’s condition to have a solid value. I realize this is not an auction site so any help With value and any offers will be considered.

Pictures:
aea53cfe-cb79-416f-911b-ec0f68ff9473-jpeg.2702411

9ad18520-dbff-4948-be7c-4aa76659bba0-jpeg.2702412

DISCLAIMER: Always comply with local, state, federal, and international law. The Outdoors Trader does not become involved in transactions between parties. Review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more information.
$250 is absolute top dollar from a very motivated buyer. $200 is a more realistic target.

Condition is your biggest problem. A lot of people don't want to be bothered running down .38 S&W, although it's commonly available.

They make a very serviceable pocket pistol.

I'd buy except for the distance,

These top-break revolvers have notoriously fragile lockwork, so you'd want to check it to ensure it works
correctly, and that the cylinder locks up in time with the barrel on all chambers. Also, check the bore (inside
of the barrel and chambers) for possible heavy pitting/corrosion, as these were originally loaded with black powder.
The bore may LOOK much worse than it actually is, just due to 100 years' accumulation of cobwebs, dirt, debris,
etc. So, it's best to scrub it clean with a bronze brush on a cleaning rod and wipe out the crud with patches --
first wet with solvent, then dry once most of the black and/or green fouling stops coming out after several scrubbing
and patching cycles. This will let the buyer see what they are really getting, and also may surprise you with a much better bore condition than it looks like without cleaning. There would have to be very little rifling left to
ruin accuracy at the practical distances for which these revolvers were intended, but it is possible. Most people
looking for one of these old top break Smith & Wessons (which were made in great numbers) are looking for one
in excellent condition, as they are beautiful examples of S&W's hand fitting, finishing, etc. When the finish is worn,
they become significantly harder to sell. I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom