• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FS German 1944 Mauser Karabiner 98K DOT 44 $1200 OBO

Augusto C.

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…
Reaction score
German 1944 Mauser
DOT 44
MOD 98
Will not come with sling

"9978" Markings match all throughout rifle

Caliber - 8x57/7.92x57

Attachments

• IMG_0239.jpg
    IMG_0239.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_0238.JPG
    IMG_0238.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 317
Man this rifle is worth about $400 tops. Matching numbers mean pretty much nothing on a sporterized rifle missing numbered parts. If someone was to try to restore this rifle it would not be matching due to the fact they would need to replace the rear sight, front barrel band/bayonet lug, and buttplate. All are parts that would usually be numbered. Plus it looks like the rear bridge has been drilled for that sight that is on it. Not trying to be a dick but it is the nature of the market. One of these exact rifles just recently sold on the trader for $1300 in complete original condition. How on earth would this one be nearly the same price.

This rifle should be valued as a good sporterized hunting rifle with some neat markings, if the condition warrants. It has little to no collector value. That doesn't mean that a nice 98 Mauser-actioned hunting rifle in 7.92x57 isn't worth good money (maybe more than $400, but maybe not $1200 either). The Seller is also taking offers...

The sling, however, may be of some collector value. It looks like an original in good condition. If so, and particularly if it has markings to show authenticity, the sling may be worth almost as much as the rifle.

GLWS!

This rifle should be valued as a good sporterized hunting rifle with some neat markings, if the condition warrants. It has little to no collector value. That doesn't mean that a nice 98 Mauser-actioned hunting rifle in 7.92x57 isn't worth good money (maybe more than $400, but maybe not $1200 either). The Seller is also taking offers...

The sling, however, may be of some collector value. It looks like an original in good condition. If so, and particularly if it has markings to show authenticity, the sling may be worth almost as much as the rifle.

GLWS!
Very well said. I agree on the sling and thought the same myself but he states it is not included with the sale.

Very well said. I agree on the sling and thought the same myself but he states it is not included with the sale.
I appreciate yalls input, this was my first time buying some old/vintage guns. Hence my other 2 listings. Kinda new to this, so im still trying to figure out what adds/subtracts value, and what to watch out for. I do know for a fact the sling was not original. I was told to discard the sling because it could hurt value. Sorry for the inaccurate value. I promise ill get better at it lol!

I appreciate yalls input, this was my first time buying some old/vintage guns. Hence my other 2 listings. Kinda new to this, so im still trying to figure out what adds/subtracts value, and what to watch out for. I do know for a fact the sling was not original. I was told to discard the sling because it could hurt value. Sorry for the inaccurate value. I promise ill get better at it lol!
Please, please, please don't think I was trying to be a dick I truly am not. It is hard to convey things over written correspondence and show sincere intentions. Collecting old rifles is an addicting hobby especially for me and hopefully you will continue with it and enjoy it. Dont hesitate to reach out for help on here there are a ton of very knowledgeable individuals on here that would love to assist. Plus many of us would talk guns for hours for no reason other than the love of the hobby.

Please, please, please don't think I was trying to be a dick I truly am not. It is hard to convey things over written correspondence and show sincere intentions. Collecting old rifles is an addicting hobby especially for me and hopefully you will continue with it and enjoy it. Dont hesitate to reach out for help on here there are a ton of very knowledgeable individuals on here that would love to assist. Plus many of us would talk guns for hours for no reason other than the love of the hobby.
No, do not worry! I knew exactly what you meant! I really do appreciate the input. Your input will only help me get better at this. I will definietly continue with this hobby, and I will make sure from here on out to get some insight whether its through ODT or another source before going through with a purchase or putting a price on something no doubt. Thank you!

Augusto, you may want to wait and do a little research into that sling (check out https://www.bergflak.com/slings.html, for example). It may be a repro, or it may be an old Yugoslavian sling, but it has the look of a real K98k sling (correct ricasso pattern in the leather, perhaps an "L&F" stamp in the buckle and a steel, not brass, button (can't be sure of these in the pictures)) . If it is a real K98k sling, then it is worth a good bit of money, and I and others might be interested in purchasing the sling regardless of the rifle.

You may want to post some pictures of it, or start a thread in the Accessories section. But DO NOT throw it away until you are sure it is not an original.

Back
Top Bottom