• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fruit trees.

I planted two fig trees last weekend. I pruned my plum, peach, and apple to try to bring them back. However they are poor. The year I planted them the deer damaged them badly before I could get wire around them. Never recovered. They may also be wrong for the area. I never considered that.

I planted two fig trees last weekend. I pruned my plum, peach, and apple to try to bring them back. However they are poor. The year I planted them the deer damaged them badly before I could get wire around them. Never recovered. They may also be wrong for the area. I never considered that.
I have to fence my fruit trees.

I went with 5 fruit trees this year to supplement the 2 bartlett pear tree's I planted 6 years ago.

Ended up with 3 Robinson crabapple trees planted on the back property line, 1 Dorset Golden apple tree & 1 Elberta peach tree that are planted closer to the house.

My wife and I planted 15 fruit trees and vines this weekend. 1 Muscadine, 1 Fig, 2 Pear, and the rest were apples of various kinds. That goes with the dozen or so fruit trees plus a few grape vines and scuppernong vines. I also planted 2 rows of sweet corn, one Peaches N Cream and one SilverQueen. I got started planting my pepper, tomato, and tobacco seeds. I'll finish up my seed planting Tuesday. I'm hoping to get Potatoes in the ground tomorrow before the rain.

I reckon it time to plant a few fruit trees around the house.
Any thoughts, tips or info you’ll could share. I live between Eatonton and milledgeville on Sinclair
Thanks,
Yep. Rip out your close to house shrubbery and plant blueberry bushes

Keiffer pear makes great canning pear and pearbutter pear. Too hard for eating raw. I have one and it is a monster producer.
I had fireblight on it, but not as bad as apples. Not many problems with worms.
Pic below is about 1/4 of what we picked from it last fall. We should have thinned the fruit more. It broke several branches.

PS UGA has an excellent video series on YT about growing fruit and berries in GA. We did their class last spring and learned a few things from it.
PPS that's a 13.5 oz single pear, and it was not the only one in the batch.
View attachment 3158407 View attachment 3158408

Go with a pear tree or two. Have to admit the one my grandmother (r.i.p.) planted back in 81/82 is still putting out pears every year. Didn't know what kind of pear it was till I saw this thread (very thankful Jeddak) and thought the pics Jeddak had posted were from my tree. My grandmother also had planted 3 blueberry bushes with the 1 pear tree. Biggest problems that I have are the deer, squirrels & the 2 footed jackals love to try the pears. Good luck and good eating....:hungry:

I put chicken wire barrier around my tree today using t post. Makes it a pain to keep clean around the base of the tree. However the deer have already hit my apple tree eating the new growth.

I put chicken wire barrier around my tree today using t post. Makes it a pain to keep clean around the base of the tree. However the deer have already hit my apple tree eating the new growth.
Yep, deer ia pain. I have 8ft fence around my apples, peach and plums

Back
Top Bottom