• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Front sight interference

moosensquirrel

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
I do not have a spare scope to try this myself..I see a lot of AR15 style rifles with the conventional front sight (part of the gas block?) having a scope mounted as well. Doesn't the front sight interfere with the scope view and ultimate effectiveness?

Thanks, Moose

Not at all. The sight is noticeable at all with most scopes. Although some people do cowitness mounts with mainly red dots.

It will screw with your sight picture if you have a magnified optic of low power. For instance, if you have a 3-9x you won’t see the front sight at 9x but you will at 3X.
That's what I was thinking, thanks.

I looked up "gas block with flip up sight". All the ones I saw were "out of stock". What would be a good quality name-brand (going on an LMT rifle) and where is a good place to buy one?

Depends on the Scope.

I have a cheap 1-4x24 - Monstrum (China) on a AR15/7.62 and you can see the front site at 2-2.5x you can see it, at 3x its a faint shadow, and at 4x its gone from view.

Bushnell Nitro 2.5-10x on a AR10 , you can barely see a shadow of the front site at 2.5, and once you get past that its gone. Not sure if the FFP has anything to do with it. The Bushnell is considerably longer, so its way closer to the front site, so the focal point is farther forward of the site even at 2.5x.

I have toyed with cutting off the front sight, but never gotten around to it.

Depends on the Scope.

I have a cheap 1-4x24 - Monstrum (China) on a AR15/7.62 and you can see the front site at 2-2.5x you can see it, at 3x its a faint shadow, and at 4x its gone from view.

Bushnell Nitro 2.5-10x on a AR10 , you can barely see a shadow of the front site at 2.5, and once you get past that its gone. Not sure if the FFP has anything to do with it. The Bushnell is considerably longer, so its way closer to the front site, so the focal point is farther forward of the site even at 2.5x.

I have toyed with cutting off the front sight, but never gotten around to it.

Easy to to cut down and reshape. I’ve done a bunch of them.

That's what I was thinking, thanks.

I looked up "gas block with flip up sight". All the ones I saw were "out of stock". What would be a good quality name-brand (going on an LMT rifle) and where is a good place to buy one?

Do you have a picture of the rifle as it looks now? That will help me recommend something. Is it an SPM16/SPM14/SPM10 with USGI-style 2-piece handguards?

Back
Top Bottom