• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Front door - repair or replace ?

Just fixed mine with similar rot. Cost me about $150 for the WoodEpox/Liquid Wood kit. But worth every penny...

1ac477f9834d2186b15c1f61a9e0a582.jpg
59033cba0e9612ee67de08b7a7e3902a.jpg
65d293a3994c2a47df0f9324a4cce61d.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
5h

Interesting option. I only hesitate as I think the hinge side frame has rotted and moved, so not just cosmetic.

Cough up a grand if you cant yank out yourself, or stab it with a chisel till you get all the rot out, then fill it with brass wool and bondo... up to you. Thats not load bearing, and a good kick or two will take a brand new jamb out anyways. It all depends on how much time vs money you got. I've replaced dozens of units like that. Just make sure you get all the soft wood out.

I just mounted two new doors that were pre hung with brick mounding with no prior experience. It really wasn’t difficult if you are capable of running a drill and have a little bit of patience. I sealed up the outside with clear silicon on the perimeter and door/window spray foam to air tight any gaps between the door and framework. If you decide to do it, buy a pack of wood wedges also just to make sure it’s all perfect.

While you are at it, running 3” screws is a recommended upgrade to beef up security, it will mount the frame and latches into actual wall studs and a door latch/ dead bolt plate that is all one piece with long screws. Do the hinges also. It will make the door nearly impossible to kick in. I also decided to add a flip over door stop thats rated for 800lbs Of force since it wasn’t much more work. It would embarrass a swat team trying to get in

You can do it, it’s fitting a square in a bigger square. Also a trick I learned from an old timer is a wood golf t is a great source for filling a nail or screw hole that isn’t in the right spot or needs to be remove. Tap it in, cut, sand flush, it’s gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outer entry door would be 36" wide...at least

The main entry door will be 36", but the other outside doors will be narrower (usually 32") from my experience. This one went from inside to the garage, so it was just 32". The door going from the garage to the outside is also a 32" x 80".

Back
Top Bottom