• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Found another hole in my training.

BigMike

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
Got the opportunity to do some shooting indoor in pitch black with just a weapon mounted light. The world changes in the dark. I knew where the targets were as I placed them, but it didn't make engagement any easier. It felt unsafe scanning with just a wml and mag changes and malfunction clearing became 10x more difficult. My gear performed flawlessly so that was a plus. Just sharing some thoughts on a different way of shooting.

A shot of the range using my pocket carry light.
IMG_20211126_133545_245.jpg

Good ****! Carrying a handheld light is crucial

View attachment 3720273

The thyrm on my handheld light makes retention during weapons manipulations or other tasks way easier.

I need to upgrade from my ziptie + rubber band. Those switchbacks look pretty cool.

GhettoThyrm.jpg

shooting a night 3 gun match changed how I do stuff in the dark 100%. I dumped lasers. I spent significantly more on lights than I had in the past. You can't have too many lumens.

I blink the floor with 1000 lumens and I can ID targets. You're not scanning with the gun, and if it's a non-threat you aren't sweeping them. Know where the reflective areas of your house are so you don't blink/blind yourself.

gun manipulation is much harder if you have a light in one hand and the gun in the other. That's why I've jumped to mounted for all my "working" guns. It's also why I keep things set up the same way, mags in the same place, gun worn the same way, etc. I practiced with my eyes closed for a while and can do most gun manipulation with no visual.

EDIT: get a red dot on your gun! makes seeing the sights a non-issue and makes you faster in the dark. By like a metric **** ton

shooting a night 3 gun match changed how I do stuff in the dark 100%. I dumped lasers. I spent significantly more on lights than I had in the past. You can't have too many lumens.

I blink the floor with 1000 lumens and I can ID targets. You're not scanning with the gun, and if it's a non-threat you aren't sweeping them. Know where the reflective areas of your house are so you don't blink/blind yourself.

gun manipulation is much harder if you have a light in one hand and the gun in the other. That's why I've jumped to mounted for all my "working" guns. It's also why I keep things set up the same way, mags in the same place, gun worn the same way, etc. I practiced with my eyes closed for a while and can do most gun manipulation with no visual.

EDIT: get a red dot on your gun! makes seeing the sights a non-issue and makes you faster in the dark. By like a metric **** ton
Good info, for sure.

With that said, I value the ability to use both weapon and handheld lights with a gun in my hand. Your weapon light and/or handheld light can go down. The ability to run a gun with either is a definite advantage. I have a preference but I wouldn’t want to be learning how to do the other for the first time in the middle of a gunfight.

Back
Top Bottom