• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Found a rifle at the dump!

Tikker

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
108   0
Reaction score
I'm not one to pass up looking in the dumpsters at the local dump, they don't have an issue with it if it isn't in the steel dumpster.

Went today to take the recyclables in & noticed a water hose reel container & figured I'd give it a second life. After walking around the dumpster I noticed some numbskull dumped a water cooler dispenser in there. Figured since it had coolant in there I'd take it out and have it recycled properly.

Lo & behold right under it I see a rifle with surface rust. First thought was it was some old bb gun, but as I fished it out and had it in hand I realized it was the real deal. A Remington Fieldmaster .22 pump action rifle.

Damnedest thing about it, it was loaded. One in the chamber and 5 more in the tube. I hate to imagine if some kid or idiot found it and decided to squeeze the trigger. I should have taken some before pic's, but I just couldn't wait to get it home and strip it down. Currently soaking in Thompson Center T17 bore cleaner on the insides and Remington oil on the outside.

Once I wipe it down I'll post some pics for the progress on it. I've been wanting a project like this to practice gunsmithing on for awhile now, never knew I'd come across one like this.

Forgot to add that the slide release was very stiff, had to use my key to help push it down. They may have thought it was locked up with rust when they handled it.

I get the impression that it was found in somebodies closet after they passed away & tossed thinking it was worthless with the rust on it or they may have thought it was a BB gun.
Sure, that sounds a lot more reasonable than murder weapon.

I kid, kind of. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom