• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Forward Assist Needed in an Urban Environment?

I keep my guns loaded. I don't constantly unload and re-load them. When I drop the slide, I can check the magazine to see if a round chambered.

Unless your gun was plausibly in someone else's possession while you weren't around and maybe they unloaded the gun for whatever reason, why would you suddenly assume your previously loaded gun is now unloaded?

There are many reasons.

Anytime that my weapon is out of my control, I check it. I live in a house with adults only, so I keep several guns loaded and available, but they are out of my control. When I pick one up to holster it, I press check it.

LEO’s oftentimes have to lock their guns up when going into certain buildings. When I used to do that, I would press check when I got it back. I would also do the same if I were a civilian who locked his weapon in his vehicle because he had to go into a building where firearms were not allowed.

When I travel overseas for a mission, we turn our duty weapons into the host country. When I get it back, I press check it.

When I am shooting, every time before I go back to the holster, I press check. I don’t know for sure that the slide picked up a fresh round as it went into battery, and I want to holster a loaded weapon. This training on the range translates into “real life”. I might holster up after a shooting, but I know there’s a possibility that I might need it again, so I want to make sure it’s loaded.

That last paragraph is what I am usually talking about when I talk about press checking. It’s press checking while the weapon is under use.

I was going to stay out of this thread, but I can’t. The forward assist is insurance. It shouldn’t even be up for discussion on its feasibility / practicality. It’s there, it’s useful, and guys use it. I mean the Army even has an acronym for it…SPORTS.

I keep my guns loaded. I don't constantly unload and re-load them. When I drop the slide, I can check the magazine to see if a round chambered.

Unless your gun was plausibly in someone else's possession while you weren't around and maybe they unloaded the gun for whatever reason, why would you suddenly assume your previously loaded gun is now unloaded?
again there are a number of a reasons why one would unload their weapon whether it be they are teaching someone to shoot, legal reasons on public land, gun range requirements, etc... so the ability to close the bolt with good leverage and quietly is desirable. Anecdotally, ive never met someone who shot people for a living that wasnt a fan of the FA as well.

Particularly in georgia if you keep a rifle in the truck and enjoy hiking you are open to being gadooshed by a warden

• Possessing a firearm during a closed hunting season for an area, except on designated shooting ranges, unless such a firearm is unloaded and stored in a motor vehicle so as to not be readily accessible,
  • Possessing a loaded firearm (a gun is considered loaded if a shell is in the chamber OR MAGAZINE
Not sure what you mean here. Chambered or not is irrelevant to a GW, unless you are also going to keep the magazine empty.

Not sure what you mean here. Chambered or not is irrelevant to a GW, unless you are also going to keep the magazine empty.
By the language in there, leaving a round in the chamber is an issue even if you do not have a loaded magazine inserted or near the rifle so storing it loaded is an issue that would necessitate a chamber check

By the language in there, leaving a round in the chamber is an issue even if you do not have a loaded magazine inserted or near the rifle so storing it loaded is an issue that would necessitate a chamber check
Ah. Sorry, I thought you meant an unloaded chamber, ONLY, was GTG.
:yo:

This is somewhat a one-off example, but we carry our patrol rifles cruiser ready (empty chamber). We were getting ready to serve a warrant and I forgot to chamber it...yeah my fault. Since we were trying to make a more tactical, quiet approach to the house, I had to somehow chamber my rifle without making a bunch of noise. I eased the bolt back, eased it forward, then tapped the FA a couple times to make sure it was chambered. It helped there, but that’s the only time I’ve ever used one. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom