• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Foregrip on an AR Pistol. New technicality?

Yes, the ATF seems to make a distinction between something that makes the barrel/shroud bigger and something actually protruding downward that you can hold without gripping the barrel/shroud. On an unadorned AR pistol, you can shoot it while holding the barrel and it's still a handgun. Put something fatter on the barrel, and you get the same result. But when you attach something that you grip separately (the ATF has in some letters called it a "pistol grip), their position is that it no longer is designed to be held and fired with one hand.

I think you're concentrating on the wrong aspect. What makes a handgun a handgun is that is is "designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand." 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(29)(A). If you add a fore grip at any angle, you are making it designed to be held and fired with two hands. What is the purpose of a fore grip if not for gripping with the non-shooting hand? Putting a gore grip on a handgun makes it an Any Other Weapon.

You would think that would be true... and the ATF used to have the same opinion, but the AFG has been legal for years now and MagPul has an opinion letter on that, even if other manufacturers don't.

You would think that would be true... and the ATF used to have the same opinion, but the AFG has been legal for years now and MagPul has an opinion letter on that, even if other manufacturers don't.
Agreed. See post #11 above. This will turn into another lower receiver is not a firearm bruhaha.

What would they think about this...?

Perfectly within the confines of the law... lol

20200522_113133.jpg

I think you're concentrating on the wrong aspect. What makes a handgun a handgun is that is is "designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand." 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(29)(A). If you add a fore grip at any angle, you are making it designed to be held and fired with two hands. What is the purpose of a fore grip if not for gripping with the non-shooting hand? Putting a gore grip on a handgun makes it an Any Other Weapon.
Theyre specific to vertical grips.

Not to muddy the waters but by that mentality wouldn’t it make it illegal if you touch it with your other hand? Regardless of what is forward of the mag well if you use your other hand it would change the entire dynamic. Btw it doesn’t matter, they will charge you regardless if they want and make you hire a scumbag, sorry, lawyer to defend against. This happened in banks county a few years back with uppers and lowers and sbr. The investigators put them together and tried to charge as illegal.

I think someone said that since BCM markets it as a "Vertical Foregrip" that no, it wouldn't be, but by the ATFs interpretation it would be since it's clearly not 90* perpendicular of the bore. So strange.

To muddy the waters even more, is when people chop these grips to make handstops. Like where is the line, and why is it that someone would have to go to jail for all the vague-ry?

I'm thinking these 2 highly modified 1911s that were owned by Joh Dillenger and Pretty Boy Floyd most likely had something to do with this particular part of the NFA . Ironically the Thompson grips used in these full auto conversions were angled .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200605-095412_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20200605-095412_Google.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20200605-095404_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20200605-095404_Google.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom